Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
establishing new figs--how often to water?

Posted by girlbug2 9/10 So. Cal. (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 19:44

The rainy season appears to be over more or less. Typical weather patterns from the past tell me that it won't rain much for the Spring and not at all for the Summer. I have just planted two new fig trees, a Janice Seedless Kadota and a Tiger fig. So far the soil moisture is still at a good level but the weather is warming and dryer now.

I have one Black Jack fig in my backyard that is about 5 years old, seems well established. I did not water it at all last Summer and it grew well and produced a decent crop. However, about 3 seasons ago it must have gone dormant because I thought it was dead--I hadn't watered it that Spring. Fortunately it made a comeback the following season before it was dug out and discarded.

So now I am confused whether or not to water young fig trees throughout the summer, and if it will be safe to stop watering my newly planted Tiger and Janice Seedless Kadota figs in June.

Comments? Advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: establishing new figs--how often to water?

Mine is in a container, and is thriving on a drip system. It gets the same water as my pomegranate and citrus. I schedule it 3 times per week at 2 hours per drip session. In ground might be different.

o
RE: establishing new figs--how often to water?

I grow all of my many figs trees in the ground in my zone 9 climate......

It is important not to let the soil around a young in ground fig tree ever get completely dry for the first year or two after it is planted. Keeping the soil moist will allow the tree to quickly develop a good root system. Keeping the ground moist around a young fig tree in dry summer months is actually more important to the tree's growth than giving it fertilizer........something a fig tree does not need a lot of. However, they will respond real well to light applications of 8-8-8 fertilizer sprinkled directly on the ground around the tree....and then watered in after each application.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here