Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mk_in_ohio

Papa John fig - anyone growing it?

mk_in_ohio
13 years ago

I am about to place a fig order with Petals from the Past. I'm getting an O'Rourke and a Lemon fig. They also have a Papa John fig. I can't find any information on it other than it is dark and Greek. Anyone growing it? Flesh color? Early or late ripening? Good flavor? I'd really like to grow some berry-flavored varieties in the hope that my picky kids will like them.

I appreciate any input you might have!

MK

Comments (9)

• jazzbass1
    13 years ago

I have one. I purchased it when it wasn't listed on the site. I called and asked what they might have that wasn't listed. They recommended this one. It is a very good fig. Dark purple,skin red flesh. Seems that it will be a very good producer. It produce about 8 figs last year (first year growing it). Don't pick it early, wait for it. Not sure how cold hardy it yet. I have mine in the garage this winter. I will know in a few years, when I plant it in the ground. I think that you will enjoy it. For me, it's a keeper.

Jazz

• mk_in_ohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jazz - thanks for the info. 8 figs in the first year - that's great! Looks like you are in zone 6, so hopefully if it ripened early enough for you it will work for me, too. Do you remember when it ripened? Did you buy any other figs from Petals from the Past that you are really happy with?

Noss - if you google "Papa John fig" about all you come up with is pizza!

MK

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

I got one. It tastes good, not the top on my list but still good tasting fig.

Bass

• mk_in_ohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bass - thank you for the beautiful pictures. Looks delicious!

MK

• jazzbass1
    13 years ago

I can't remember when it riped.
    Thanks Bass for the photo. Maybe Bass can remember. He lives a little further up from me.

I also purchased a Lemon fig at the same time. It is a decent fig (yellow). Produce a few figs. Hopefully a lot more this year. The end of last season I purchased a Monticello Marseille (different than the one listed on the site)and Italian Black. I didn't get any figs. It was to late.

Petals from the Past will send you a decent size fig for that price. Also, before you purchase anything. Ask them what do they have that's not on the list. It seems that they have added a few more figs since I made my last purchase.

Jazz

• italiangirl74
    13 years ago

It looks delicious, I have a small plant of this variety just rooted from cuttings this fall, Thanks you know who you are! I don't know anything about except dark and Greek.Will look forward to testing this year.

• vern_2006
    13 years ago

MK, I bought a Papa John from Petals From The Past a couple of years ago. It was Jazzbass1 that told me about this variety of fig tree. I planted it in the ground last Spring. It was a more aggressive grower than the O'Rourke that I planted at the same time. I got several figs off of PJ this past summer, but none from O'Rourke. This has been the coldest winter in NW Arkansa since I have grown figs. It looks like both varieties have made it through the winter with little or no protection.

Vern

• mk_in_ohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

MK