Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mazway

Violette de Bordeaux too tall

mazway
13 years ago

Hi,I just trimmed my four year old Violette de Bordeaux by over 50%. It has seven main branches left on it, it's little over 6 feet tall trimmed back from some branches up to 10 feet. I would have trimmed it more, but I was shocked at what I actually took out to begin with. I'd like it to be no more than 6 feet tall at the end of the season, the thing grows like a weed! Last year I got over a dozen pieces of edible fruit off of it, but it was mostly fruit that didn't ripen. I'm just not sure how much it can take as far as extra pruning, we are going to get some very warm weather the end of this week. I was thinking of pruning the roots by shoving a spade into the ground as deep as the spade would go circling the tree also. When is the latest you could do a pruning and would it be advisable.

None of the buds have burst yet, I haven't noticed any buds swelling yet. Basically, I don't want to hurt the tree and would like to get fruit this year. Please advise..

Mike

Comments (6)

• fespo
    13 years ago

Hello Mike, I don't know about the trimming part but do have any trimming left? If so would you be will to send some? I will pay all the shipping. Please let me know thanks Frank

• jmsimpson9
    13 years ago

Same here. That is the one fig I can not get to root! I received 1 cutting from Davis this year. Out of all of different types of cuttings I received, that one is not looking good.

If you have a few extra cuttings I am willing to pay for them.

• mazway
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know at this point about extra cuttings. Edible Landscaping has this one and its a vigorous grower.

• justfigured
    13 years ago

Mike,

If the tree/bush has been in the ground for 4 years, the trimming that you did should not hurt the tree. If you want to prune the roots as you suggested, do not get too close to the tree, I would maybe only use your spade in arcs, but not the whole circle. Think about a pizza with every other piece removed. Just a caution, though: that process may create small trees to force from the roots that are severed but left in the ground.

I think the others who were interested in your cuttings were talking about the trimming that you already made, and possibly threw on your compost pile. I don't think they wanted you to cut into your already trimmed tree. To many of us, that is the least expensive way to increase our varieties (and fun, it doesn't take much to excite a plant lover!)

Barb

• justfigured
    13 years ago

One more thing, I just reread your original post. If you root prune, it should be done now before the buds break.

One thing to do to increase the amount of fruit is to pinch back the growing tip after each branch grows 4-6 leaves. This will encourage branching and fruiting locations. If your problem last year was not enough time to ripen the fruit, you want your tree to have enough fruiting wood develop earlier in the season. At some point you will want to encourage the fruit to develop and mature, and I believe this method will help with that, also. Others may have better information on that, though.

Good luck,

Barb

• mazway
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Barb, Thanks for the tips. I don't think I will root prune this year. That probably means extra work to keep with suckering and such. I will do the pinching for sure.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH