Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nkesh099

Buying Fig trees, any recommendation for nurseries

nkesh099
14 years ago

Looking to buy some fig trees from a HIGHLY recommended nursery. It can be anywhere in US.

There is guy out in NJ sells some nice looking fig trees but he will not ship them, you have to pick it up. Its about 8hrs from where I live, so cant go there.

Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

Comments (26)

• ejp3
    14 years ago

I like durio nursery in La. Bought a couple of trees and they were very nice.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I did a quick search of the forum and found a bunch of threads on the same topic. I came across the one linked below which I left a linked list of reputable online nurseries recommended at Figs4Fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of recommended nurseries - scroll down ~10 posts

• frozbig
    14 years ago

Also, a well know forum member also runs http://www.treesofjoy.com
    He has some very interesting fig varieties.

• nkesh099
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chills;
    I'm going to start with Brown Turkey fig tree. I have send two emails to Encanto farms, which I believe is located in San Diego and have not had any responds from them. I believe their email is: encantofarm@cox.com (correct me if I'm wrong)
    I will be growing it in a large container and since it gets too cold here at winters I will be keeping it in my garage.

Thanks to all of you with the information.

P.S. does anyone know the RIGHT email address for Encantofarms or they phone number? It seems like they are the expert in fig trees.

• dieseler
    14 years ago

His email is

encantofarms@cox.net

i noticed the email you posted had no ( s ) .

I have emailed him in just recently and he does respond in a timely manner. There is no phone number avaialble But Jon is very trustworthy . Try the email i posted and good luck.
    Martin

• nkesh099
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dieseler;

Thank You very much.

I did email them again using the correct email address, but they have not responded back.

• nkesh099
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dieseler;

He did actually respond back to my email, which Im very happy. Also, I joined the F4Fforum only few minutes ago. It contains lots of useful informations which I will be reading when I have some free time.

Thank you once again.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I wouldn't start with Brown Turkey. It's only a mediocre fig. But that's just me.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

There is a Southern Brown Turkey strain (not to be confused with South Eastern Brown Turkey, nor California Brown Turkey, nor English Brown Turkey)that is definitely NOT a mediocre fig. It is believed to be a bud sport of Celeste and is one of the many cultivars that I am studying in my fig trials. The "Brown Turkey" label can cover several different figs with much different fruiting characteristics.

Dan

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Very true, but then again, you may also buy a Celeste, and it may be Brown Turkey, with the way nurseries are these days.

I have a Vern's BT cutting, we'll see how it does, will probably be a year or two before I taste it. I really, really want some strain of BT to change my mind, but I've eaten from half a dozen BT trees, and it was like eating a store-bought tomato after eating heirloom tomatoes your whole life (bland, blah). My BT ... it's a tasteless disappointment compared to so many other fig varieties.

It is that disappointment that always has me bashing on BT as a variety. I *am* keeping an open mind. But I still want to warn everyone that wants to grow it as their primary tree. It's so hit or miss, I just don't think it's worth it. Any fig that requires trying 10 different strains to find a good one (which is, actually probably mislabelled) is NOT a fig I would recommend.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention that I am trialing Vern's Brown Turkey too. One of my research goals is to find the best Brown Turkey strain and best Celeste strain. The best of these varieties likely will be found in Louisiana. Only a very observant FIGNUT like me who grows them side by side under similar conditions can reliably see differences in fruiting characteristics and whether or not they are the same. Anyone looking for a particular variety of fig or one with particular desired characteristics is better off getting it from a fignut rather than a nursery. Fignuts usually pay very close attention to details of the figs that they grow.....much more attention than do nurseries.

Dan

• frozenjoe
    14 years ago

You could try ediblelandscaping.com which has a pretty good reputation and is located in Virgina. They maybe close enough for you to drive to and check out in person.

Joe

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

I agree with Joe. Mike McConkey at Edible Landscaping knows his figs. Trees that I purchased from him were very nice and true to type.

Dan

• nkesh099
    Original Author
    14 years ago

frozenjoe and danab;

I did order my trees from Edible landscaping yesterday. They told me that they will ship it out Monday and I should receive it by Wensday. I called few nurseries all over US and these guys at Edible landscaping were the best in answering all of my questions.
    I ordered a English Brown Turkey and a Celeste. What do you all think about my choices? Are these good choices to start with?
    I will be keeping them in containers all year round.
    If the trees looked good and they were healthy, i might drive up there and buy couple of more trees. They are about 4 hrs from my house. Also, I want to buy couple of trees from Jon at Encantofarms too, since I have heard many good thing about him and trees.
    Will let you all know how the trees were once I receive them from EdLand.

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Nkesh099,
    to give you an idea.
    i bought this Violet De Bordeaux from edible landscaping as a dormant plant in winter of 2009. I put in bigger pot last spring and did my usual fertilizing. Your plants from them should do well i would think. here are the pictures from last season of the plant. It responded well last season one picture is 30 days taken after first picture.
    {{gwi:764243}}
    30 days later
    {{gwi:764246}}
    the fruit starting to ripe
    {{gwi:764248}}

Best Health
    Martin

• nkesh099
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Martin;

You have a very nice tree and it looks healthy. How old is your tree now? I will be receiving mine in few days and cant wait to get them.
    Do you usually buy your fig trees from Edible Landscaping? if yes, how would you recommend them?
    One will be in 5 Gallon and other will be in 3 Gallon. i will be repotting them into a bigger container, but, how big a container should I plant the 5 gallon and the 3 gallon one in? I was thinking planting both of them in two 10 gallon container. Do you think that size would be sufficient for them?

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Nkesh099,
    this will be its second full season i have had it, i would say its 3 seasons old this coming season.
    Ive bought several from EL in past.
    you ask
    how would you recommend them?
    there good to deal with at least i had no problems.
    you ask

i will be repotting them into a bigger container, but, how big a container should I plant the 5 gallon and the 3 gallon one in?
    you can put the 5 gallon one in as big a container as you can manage and have space to store for winters.
    The 3g one you can put in 10 gallon for this upcoming season.
    you ask
    I was thinking planting both of them in two 10 gallon container. Do you think that size would be sufficient for them?
    I personally think yes thats fine 10g size as long as they are managed when it calls for, root pruning , fetilizing, etc.
    Best Health
    Martin

• nkesh099
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Martin;

Once again, thank you very much for the reply and the information.

Navid

• dieseler
    12 years ago

Hi Navid,
    did you wind up ordering any fig trees since last conversation and if so were you happy.
    Martin

• nkesh099
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, last year I purchased 5 trees from EL. Two of them were dead, they did replace the dead ones. I bought those in 3 and 5 gallon sizes. Two of them did not produce any fruit, rest had FMV.
    Made a mistake by ordering from them again this year. Ordered a Petite Negri and a Hardy Chicago from them for my grandmother. They send me HC and a LSU purple and when I called them they told me they did not have any P.Negri and they substituted it with LSU purple.
    They made the substitution without calling me ahead of time and letting me know. They had the PN on their site for sale that's why I ordered it in first place. It's been 4 months since they told they would send me the Petite Negri and they have not send me any.

I will not buy any trees from EL again, their trees are way overpriced for their sizes.

On other hand, have ordered cuttings from Jon and was pleased with the size of his cuttings.

Petals from the past is were I buy my fig, Pom, persimmon, plum and..... trees. I do go there and pick the trees that I like whenever I am at Birmingham.

Navid.

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

I ordered two fig trees from trees of antiquity earlier this year. they are leafing out well....

• dieseler
    12 years ago

Navid thats sad.
    I had bought a Sals in 2003 season and 5 gallon Vdb several years ago thats been growing like a weed but things change sometimes i suppose.
    Best to You
    Martin

• nkesh099
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Its OK. I actually gave all those trees to my aunts few weeks ago, had to make more room for some new trees.

Thanks you.

Navid.

• stepandfetch
    12 years ago

I have been happiest with Just Fruits and Exotics of Florida. Edible Landscaping sells quality, but the prices are pretty steep. I ordered two trees from Petals From the Past, and both have shown no growth. The shipping was also lacking, as the two plants had broken limbs, dead/ dying leaves, and cracked plastic pots. not impressed.

The figs that have performed best were from trees that were living close by. They always grew faster, and always survived the strongest from winter. I would start collecting trees, not through online nurseries, but by asking around for cuttings from neighbors with fig trees.

• nkesh099
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The thing with Petals from the past is, I do go there and pick the best looking trees that I like. Other than that I get my cuttings from one of my friend down in FL.
    Prices for EL is very steep alright but trees I received from them were not quality. Two dead ones, three of them produced no fruit and rest had FMV.

Not to mention all the money I did spend on those trees.

Navid.

• jolj
    12 years ago

I just got 3 figs from "Petals from the Past" in AL.35085.
    Plants are in 1 gallon pots & in good shape.
    One LSU Purple, Green Ishia, Lemon fig.
    I got a Austin Blueberry & a Pomegranate Wonderful also in good shape.
    The figs are $9.00 each.
    They will start shipping in the Fall.
    I repotted the fig when they got here & will put them in the ground when they are larger.
    I could tell by the new growth, that they are 3 years old.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig trees