Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How cutting leaves is supported without roots

Posted by foolishpleasure 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 21:11

I have cuttings which developed 4 leaves and no root yet. How these leaves get moisture and nutrients without the service of the roots. The leaves look very green and healthy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How cutting leaves is supported without roots

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 21:52

Fool, I have many instances of the same and cuttings that sprout figs before roots. I just keep them in a humid environment and eventually the roots catch up. But I know that the experts will probably say to shear off the leaves (definately the figs) for the greater good. I don't disagree, but i am no expert

o

The leaf growth is support by food and moisture stored in the cutting from back when the cutting was a part of the parent tree. Removal/shearing of these leaves would definitely be counterproductive and only slow root growth! They are providing energy and hormones needed for that growth. Providing a moist environment (like in a moisture tent) will keep the leaves from desiccating the cutting.

o

Most of my cuttings sprouted leaves first before roots. I started them in water. But once they went in a tote with high humidity, the roots quickly caught up. In some instances, the roots actually surpassed the growth of leaves. Make sure to remove all figlets. Soak up needed energy.

o

Thanks I just was wondering. I am kepping them in humid environment under plastic tent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here