Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wispfox

can Chicago Hardy fig trees grow with tomato plants?

wispfox
12 years ago

I was thinking about what I could plant along with three Chicago Hardy figs that we will be getting in April, and was wondering if there were any reasons that you can think of that fig trees and tomato plants should not be grown together?

I couldn't think of anything, but I've never grown figs before. :)

Anyone know?

Comments (13)

• tony_c_m
    12 years ago

If you're going to keep the figs in pots then it should be exclusively for the figs. By planting something else in the same pot it would be competing for root space and nutrients. Also the tomato plant would be blocking sun that the fig tree would need. A 5 gallon bucket or larger would be good for a tomato plant. It would grow better and you can put a stake in it to tie the plant on for support.

• centurion_
    12 years ago

I fully agree with tony_c_m.

Having said that...my newly planted black mission tree (from a pot...it is only 18" tall) will be sharing it's 5x6 raised bed with a tomato plant and two squash plants this year. Sometimes you don't have much choice.

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

Tomato and fig,bad Idea,you will have nematode in your Garden before the plants will fruit!

• wispfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

herman2: really? Even with marigold interplantings?

That's very good to know!

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

Even with Marigold,the danger of nematode is huge if tomato and fig ,are planted close to one another.

• noss
    12 years ago

Herman,

Would it be the tomato plant that would have the RKNs? Or would it draw them to it? Would there be that danger if you raised the tomato plant from seed yourself?

noss

• espo8
    12 years ago

Vasile, Two weeks ago I planted 8 fig trees in my garden forgeting all about this potential problem. If I transplant these 8 trees to a different location this weekend am I still in danger of infecting my plants.
    Thanks, Anthony

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

The nematode exist in most soil,but in very small numbers,and they need a spreader agent,and the best to do that is the Tomato plant root.
    If a fig is close then they move from Tomato roots to Fig roots,and that is how it works in my opinion.
    The Tomato plant is a very good host for nematode,so if there are a couple in the whole garden,it will congregate and multiply on the tomato roots.
    The tomato itself seem to grow ok ,even if some nematodes are living in the roots but if it find a fig tree then you will notice a sudden change as the fig tree stops growing instantly,and in fact is much more affected ,by nematode compared to the tomato plant.

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

And to Espo:If you move them most likelly,nothing will happen,because at this time the nematodes are not active in owr cold climate.
    Once you pull plant out the shake the soil off ,and if any nematode are on plant they will die almost instantly when exposed to dry cool weather,so I think you will be OK.
    And if you grew Tomato on that spot last year,there is still a big chance that the soil is not contaminated yet,but you can't push your luck and continue to grow Tomato,and fig together in close planting.

• noss
    12 years ago

That's very interesting, Herman, Thanks.

noss

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

I personally have a small yard and I like to grow Tomato too,but I keep them as far as I can from one another.
    One year I had a chance tomato growing in a pot that a fig was growing.
    I let it be and by the Fall,I noticed that fig tree was stunted.
    Upon inspection ,the roots had nematodes all over them,so that is why I know ,not to mix them anymore.

• espo8
    12 years ago

Vasile, thanks for helping me.
    Stay Well,
    Anthony

• paully22
    12 years ago

Tomato plants is a good host for nematodes. Hence like Herman mention, keep them far apart.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living