Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yaslan

How long are fig cuttings viable?

yaslan
13 years ago

Hello,

Thanks to a very generous and kind GW member, I recently received some violette de bordeaux fig cuttings (this past Saturday). I was wondering how long will they continue to be viable? What is the best way to store them? Is it ok to have them sitting in water with vitamin b-1 for a few days or will this cause them to rot?

Also, any ideas or suggestions on the best way to root them would be greatly appreciated and welcomed or if there's a previous thread I can be redirected to?

Thanks!

-Bo

Comments (7)

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

There are lots of methods discussed on this board from Bagging to planting them in root medium.
    I personally tried every thing and none worked. I got some success by filling a cup with damped sphagnum moss and letting the cup sets on heating pad. 1 cup rotted and two worked good roots and the fourth refuses to budge. A "C" grade I guess. The ones developed roots I transplanted then to another cups filled with perlite. I see the roots are growing. I am not going to plant them until I get the strongest roots I can get.
    Search thit Board you will find different things.

• nypd5229
    13 years ago

I have mine in water with very little problems. Only Aubique Petite turned to mush. All others have either shot a root or two out or showed the white styrofoam primordial substance. I have stuck both kinds in 70/30 perlite/soil with very good results. I have or am in the process of doing about 35 varieties in water.

In terms of storage I have seen some say if wrapped correctly and checked every month in the fridge, can be rooted from 6 to 12 months later. I had trouble with mold so I was forced to root early Jan. I have been advised by other forum members that Physan 20 is very good to spray on cuttings to contain mold but in a humid condition It has been hard to avoid.

Dominick

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

If kept clean in a ziplock bag with lightly moist paper towel, they can be kept in the fridge for up to a year. I would keep the fridge around 40F so rot doesn't easily form.
    I wouldn't keep them in water for too long, I'm not a fan of rooting in water. Even if they root the roots will be very fragile when repotting.
    The quickest and easiest way to root them is to place cuttings in a pot with good draining soil. I would place up to 5 cuttings in one gallon pot and keep them warm. Once they develop good roots after at least 6 weeks they can be repotted.

Bass

• User
    13 years ago

Experimenting with cuttings saved from last year. Kept in fridge crisper for 12 months, most were still in good condition, put them in hot water for 5 minutes, cleaned up some of the clinging paper towel , bagged them with spagnum moss and put them away in a cool room (65) . That was 3-4 weeks ago, now some have 1/4 inch roots, some no activity, some leafing out . So far so good.

• k2marsh
    13 years ago

Hi Bo, I plant my cuttings where I want them to grow. They almost all grow.
    Make your cutting 6 to 8 inches long. Prepair the soil, and keep one bud above the ground. Wait for it to grow. Thats all you need to do. Keep it watered if dry.

These are hardwood cutting that were cut around February while the tree was dorment.

You are in zone 8. Is your fig trees dorment? I'm sure the cuttings you have were taken while the tree was dorment. Good Luck.
    Click the link below and see how the professional people propagate figs.

Karyl

Here is a link that might be useful: How to propagate figs

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great info! Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I am thrilled and can't wait to put these cuttings in pots or stick them in the ground.

Karly - yep, my fig cuttings are dormant. Also, thanks for the link. It has a lot of very useful information.

-Bo

• P Demitri
    2 years ago

ciao BO, ho iniziato da qualche mese ad interessarmi del fico, ho imparato a fare le talee ed ora inizio ad interessarmi delle diverse varieta. potresti essere cosi gentile da inviarmi qualche talea di violett cosi che possa trapiantarla anch io? grazie mille

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists