Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting with Roots, Pics Included

Posted by loslunasfarms 7, New Mexico (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 22:11

Well,

I was looking at my Sequoia tree and noticed that some of the roots were cut, and guess what, there are more figgy babies on the way!

Lets talk!

Sequoia Rooted Roots 2

Sequoia Rooted Roots 1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting with Roots, Pics Included

Suckers, as they call them.

o

I don't care how you shake n bake it. You've got one healthy root system. Looks like you will need a larger pot soon.

Looking at the pictures, When the suckers get about an inch or two longer I would get a plastic/foam cup and poke a hole through it. I would put the cup over the sucker and expose the sucker from the inside of the cup. I would add a few tea spoons full of potting mix and wet. As the sucker gets longer I would add more mix. I would do this till the potting mix almost reaches the top. I would also secure the cup with sticks placed next to it and shoved into the mother tree soil and tie it or wrap tape around it. You don't want that cup to move at all. Sort of like air-layering but with a cup.

When the time come to seperate the cup from the mother tree I would get a small saw and carefuly cut it away from the bottom of the cup and repot into a larger pot.

I have done this with 100% success.

Rafed

o

What is funny is that the roots are cut, they are not part of the mother tree.

o

Does "Lets Talk" mean its time to start bartering for Sequoia babies? Sounds like you wanna trade!

-Little John

o

Forager,

Actually, I was hoping for some debate. I will, might have some trade for later!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here