Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejp3

Best breba for Northeast

ejp3
15 years ago

I get tons of figs from mid August through October but not enough before that. Except for Desert King, which I consider an excellent tasting fig (ate my first one of last years crop on July 3rd), I am lacking in the early breba cropping type figs. Any recommendations for a very early ripening fig (end of July the latest) for my climate? Thanks in advance.

Comments (19)

• kkfromnj
    15 years ago

IÂm hoping these will be good, he tells me the breba are better than the main crop, he had tons of them, hopefully IÂll get some breba this year, he lives in Wallington and does not cover his trees.

• bonsaist
    15 years ago

I got one I call Naples white. huge breba crops that has exceptional sweet flavor unlike some others.

Bass

• ejp3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

KK whay type of fig is it? Bass who sells Naples white and do you remember the date they ripened? Thanks

• bonsaist
    15 years ago

ed contact me I got Naples White.

• espo8
    15 years ago

Ed, Why are you lacking Breba? Is your Desert King not producing enough? I also grow Desert King here in NJ. In the past years; I summer pruned the tree and got a descent amount of figs but now I grow it as two trees and radically prune every other tree every fall.Now I get plenty of high quality figs.Hope this will help.
    Stay Well,
    Anthony

• ejp3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Espo, I have 3 desert kings in pots and believe it or not its still not enough. Around last August 27, my 89 year old father and I ate 80 figs in about 3 hours after I picked about 200 Kadotas and celestes while we drank homemade wine and watched the cruise ships leave N.Y. harbor. I would like to do that in July, he's not getting any younger. Believe it or not our bowels were not hurting.

• bonsaist
    15 years ago

Ed, get a greenhouse you'll get your main crop earlier.

• robert_2007
    15 years ago

KKFromNJ, The picture of the two large fig trees that are not winter covered, that's my idea of what a fig orchard in the north should look like. What state and zone is Wallington in? Can you take cuttings? Bob Harper

• kkfromnj
    15 years ago

Funny story about those fig trees, hope I donÂt get my legs broken :-)

I had been watching those trees for a while. Finally pulled over to have a look. The sidewalk and chain link fence is right behind, up close to the trees, within arms length. The fence was covered with vegetation, I was standing right up to the fence having a good look at all the breba when all of a sudden his wife steps into view, we were eyeball to eyeball, couple of feet apart, startled both of us.

The first thing she says to me in broken English is "You the Police?" The husband comes right over.

He invites me in to have a look, I lift the camera to snap a pic and like on cue they both turn around.
    There definitely is a communication problem. He tells me itÂs a Mafia fig and then laughs a little. Says the first crop is better. I ask red or green he says blue.

WouldnÂt give me a cutting then, tells me come back early next spring.
    Walks me outside the fence, stays till I drive away.

That fall I was in the area, the trees were dormant, figured IÂd stop in. He refuses again, but gives me the EXACT date I could return next spring.

IÂm already feeling a little uneasy about going back but on the specified day I return.

He answers the door, one arm in a sling, bandage on his forehead, looks like something did a number on his face, recently. Could have been a fall, who knows? HeÂs a little agitated, tells me "go dig one out", they both watch me from the window the whole time.

I would have loved to go back a few months later and try some of the breba. Needless to say, I wonÂt be going back again :-)

Its in north jersey, about 12 miles as the crow flies due west from NYC. I think its just an unknown.

• peg919
    15 years ago

KK,
    LOL, good story! Good laugh! What we don't go through for figs!!!!

Peg

• gorgi
    15 years ago

KK,
    Great story! I understand, as I myself have gone
    though a (somewhat) very similar local experience.
    BTW, one of the 2 twigs you send me, made it, thanks much.

• kkfromnj
    14 years ago

Was in the neighborhood today, took a drive by to have a look, seems to have suffered very little damage, if at all, nice breba crop, definitely a late breaker. I was beginning to worry about my potted plant but just last week it started to wake up.

• paully22
    14 years ago

I understand Grantham's Royal is a good breba crop variant. Thanks to Jon I have one to babysit preciously for the next 2 years. Anyone has pictures of Grantham's Royal ? I was told its a huge fig.

• rob5020
    14 years ago

This is my Grantham's Royal Breba as of today May 24th they are the size of a quarter or larger.I'll post pic's of them when they ripe.The tree is on it's 3rd year.
    Robert

Here is a link that might be useful:

• paully22
    14 years ago

Wow! Those are nice looking brebas Robert. I was told that G.Royal taste great & they could get to tennis ball size. Hope its as productive as Desert King. Thanks for the picture & would look forward to pictures of the ripe ones.

• rob5020
    14 years ago

Your Welcome Paully.I'm also looking foward to riped one's.Mr. Rice is the one who gave cutting's to Mr. Robyn.My plant came from Mr.Robyn.When I spoke to Mr. Rice about this fig he told me the same thing as you stated that these fig's get to be the size of a baseball and are very productive in there 4th year.Goodluck Paully and God Bless.
    Robert

• paully22
    14 years ago

Great. I look forward to sinking my teeth into many of these GR giants in the near future. My wife would be soooo happy. Its an excellent investment inspite of the cost of phyto cert & shipping . Please remember to post pic's of the ripe ones. If I remember correctly from 2008, Mr.Rice told me Jon's variant came from him. This variant will get good attention in my collection especially its a breba only fig.

• Tim
    10 years ago

KK How is your "mafia fig" doing? Loved the story.

Tim

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus