Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

UcDavis

dieseler
14 years ago

On figs4 fun forum some folks are starting to get there scion albiet almost 2 weeks later than last season.

If anyone has Ischia Black scion or plant available im very interested.

Dieseler@aol.com

Best Health

Martin

Comments (19)

• chills71
    14 years ago

Mine came in today, nice looking cuttings. Better than I received either last year or the year before.

Sorry, that is not one I requested.

~Chills

• gene_washdc
    14 years ago

Didn't ask for any fig cuttings this year, but some very nice pomegranate cuttings came in today from UC-Davis.

• jmsimpson9
    14 years ago

Oh good! I have been fretting over here that my order got lost!

I have requested cuttings of various fruit trees too and with the warm weather all my trees are starting to wake up!

Keeping my fingers crossed that they send the figs I wanted!

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Got mine yesterday. Scion 14" long on average, about 3 cuttings per variety. got 7/7 varieties I ordered, 5/7 are 14" long with 3 cuttings. 2/7 are ~8" long with single cutting. All tip cuttings. All look amazing.

• philly_gardener
    14 years ago

Can anyone share how much does postage cost to get cuttings from UC Davis?

I may request a few later this year.

Thank you

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not sure what form of payment others used this season.
    Last season i sent 8 or 9.00 dollars in stamps which Bernard said was acceptable and i recieved scion
    March 12th 2009
    Martin

• gorgi
    14 years ago

Hold on to your ($$$'s)!
    With the current US bad ecomony/deficit (and what else is going on);
    expect some very, very serious future
    (hidden/coy) tax-hikes (popping from everywhere)...

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. National Debt Clock

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

I'm new to this. You guys sound like you only had to pay for shipping and not for the cuttings. Is that true? Is it cheaper to get cuttings here? Thanks.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    14 years ago

Mine came yesterday. I got what I requested. I got ISCHIA BLACK, MONSTRUEUSE, and PASTILIERE. I guess I got lucky....but I did send my order in early. I gave them their bath and placed them in their baggie. Today those bags are sweating nicely. All those I started in Nov/Dec are going strong in my greenhouse. I already gave some 2 gallon trees away! Even those in my garage have leafed out and looking good. Today's weather reached 72 and my greenhouse was 92 with the vent and door open. Right now my digital thermo says it is 53.6 outside and 67 in my greenhouse. Tomorrow its suppose to reach 74! I sure hope this weather stays. But history proves one more cold spell before Easter. I'm ready for it if it happens!

Thanks Jose for the Los Lunas root ball! Believe it or not but I potted that tree a week a go. Placed it in my greenhouse yesterday and it broke dormancy today. My Malta Black was the last to break dormancy. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Sorry Martin, UC Davis only sent me one cutting of the Ischia Black. It must have been in high demand this year. Cheers, Dennis

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

It is true that you only pay shipping, but there are some negative caveats that you should be aware of before you think this is the best thing since sliced bread.

One, they only ship 2nd day FedEx, which can be expensive (in previous years, some have gotten them to ship standard).

Two, you aren't guaranteed to get anything you order. Preference of cuttings goes to researchers and research institutions first, and common folks get last dibs and/or leftovers. If you pick something popular that everyone orders, I guess you'll be lucky to receive it.

Three, you have no clue how much it's really going to cost. For some folks, this could be a problem. Shipping from California to Georgia cost me $22.67, and I was lucky enough to get at least one stick of everything I ordered. On the order form, it required me to provide a FedEx account number (you need to sign up for an account). You may be able to work some other shipping arrangements out, but as with anything else "free" in life, anything you do to complicate the process could reflect negatively on what you actually end up receiving.

If you absolutely want to get everything you order, then I would suggest buying on eBay from a known/trusted senior source like Figs4Fun, Trees of Joy or Herman2 to name a couple, or buying from a storefront that is trusted like Burnt Ridge Nursery, Edible Landscaping or other.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forgot to mention last season when i sent 8.00 - 9.00 in US stamps as payment my order was shipped and recieved March 12th by Priority Mail here is picture although a fed ex box it came Via Priority cheaper for them and me. Not sure if they still accept this type of payment but i might try next season and maybe not as it may not be worth it for just 1 type of cultivar i seek.
    {{gwi:744291}}
    Best Health
    Martin

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Thanks guys. I will get 2 trees from Treesofjoy.com since he is not that far from me which I will see him next week for jujube and pawpaw. I then might try to get some cutting as it is cheaper.

It's great that UCDavis send out free cuttings...too bad it might be a long wait.

• johnsvmf
    14 years ago

Martin,

I received a Blk Ischia and think I can cut it in half and root them both. Hopefully, I will I will be successful and send you the plant in the fall.

Vinnie

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI Vinnie,
    thats appreciated, 1 day if i get LUCKY i will pass around the ischia to those that helped out first, i still have the one being worked on in Ten.
    It will take time but thats my hope and challenge.
    You will be compensated regardless.
    Martin

• strudeldog_gw
    14 years ago

Has everyone recieved their cuttings, or is it just me awaiting? I sent my order early with a shipping account and received acknowledgement. I as well order Pomegranate and a Persimmon cutting, seems unlikely they had had none of the material I had listed. It is my 1st year to request material so I am not real familar with what to expect.

Thanks

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

There are several people at F4F who haven't gotten theirs, and a representative from UC Davis emailed one person back to say something along the lines of, "Please give us another two weeks to fulfill orders - if you don't have your order in the next two weeks, contact us to inquire".

• jmsimpson9
    14 years ago

Still waiting on mine.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    14 years ago

I got my order today. I have no clue what it cost. I gave them my Fed EX number, and they charged my credit card, but I'm willing to pay shipping for 13 x 5 varieties of grapevines which would retail at about $15.00 each, 3x3 varieties of Figs, 2x3 varieties of pomegranates, and 3x3 clones of Sevillano olives.

If you do the math, that's almost 100 FREE plants for the cost of shipping! If you got those plants on sale at your local garden center you would surely pay $10.00 each for them, and $10 x 100 = $1000 worth of plants. And what if only half survive? $500 worth of plants. You will not find me complaining about the cost of shipping!

Everything I ordered, I received. I got my order into them last June, so I suggest you put yours together for next year now. First come, first served!!

• jmsimpson9
    14 years ago

Just got notice from FEDX that they shipped my package! YAY!

I wonder if I can still do some grafting when the my trees are starting to bloom? (Plums and Apricots). I have only done it dorment. Anyone?