Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Preto

dieseler
14 years ago

Hi ,

i thought i would share photo's of a preto starting to root.

What i did was similar to last season i used the expandable peet pellets .

This season i took 3 or 4 of them in warm water then broke them up and put in part of water bottle , stuck preto stick in it that was rinsed in sink water and total 22 days later.

Oh and i also forgot to make holes in cup, the heck with the holes im gonna leave it as is. ; )

But thats ok cause im soon going to transfer this into a pot with potting soil on bottom and sides and add more peet right around area that it will sit in the pot and cover top with more potting soil. Its out of my bin and tomorrow will go under the grow light on top of my aero system.

Best Health

{{gwi:765277}}

{{gwi:765279}}

{{gwi:765280}}

Comments (8)

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today on 23rd day since receiveing them i potted this one.
    I also did the same with my panache in another pot thats the same as one shown.
    Dont do this at home. ; )
    {{gwi:765281}}
    {{gwi:765282}}
    Best Health
    Martin

• genecolin
    14 years ago

Martin nice going. Mine are 32 day since starting and I will pot them up Saturday. These were started in sphagnum, a first for me.

From the bayou,
    "gene"

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today i took this picture and this Preto is firmly rooted in the pot now.
    These are my favorite sticks to root with the bud on top as it makes shaping it into a tree form simple.
    {{gwi:765284}}
    Thanks goes out to Sue and Jon, some of same will eventually go to Missouri and friends in Chicago.
    Best Health
    Martin

• genecolin
    14 years ago

Martin, thanks for the pictures and I hope mine follow suit. I haven't seen any buds yet.
    "gene"

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

It seem like rooting cuttings are a lot of fun and excitement. Too bad I have no cuttings to roots. I was thinking to order from ebay but then I just spent a lot of money on fig trees, jujube, pawpaw, persimmons, grape, and garden supplies. Maybe I'll wait until next year to root cuttings. Thanks for sharing. I really love to look at pics and especially the fruits.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ch3rri,
    yes its fun after a while and doing it for a decent amount of time and being frank here for Me it has lost some of its pizazz. I enjoy most now just taken care of them shaping , admiring them and eating the fruit. When i root them i try different ways so its not the same ole same ole. If i had the weather here this particular one would soon be out in the full sun after assimilating for only week or so , soon as i put it in pot it went right under a grow light up close.
    Total time would have been about 75 days from rooting to full sun and growing but weather here yet is still too cold .
    This particular 1 responded well and have others do the same in past but not always as they all seem to have there own growth habits i have experienced.

You mentioned you like pictures of fruit, if fig fruit you will see many on this forum as well as the link below and become a member there if thats your choice like here. Many are on both forums and have fun posting and such.

I also enjoy looking at others pictures a great deal and looking at different types of fig plants in other parts of this country and world and sharing things that i do to give others idea's of what is possible such as growing these plants in containers in colder area's which many do.
    One day it would be nice to see yours in the future as well.
    Best Health
    Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/

• fredfig
    12 years ago

@genecolin... How did your Preto cuttings develope?
    Were these, Berbera Preto ? Fred

• genecolin
    12 years ago

Fred, I now have 2 trees from the cuttings. I lost the others along the way while I was away from home. I lost some to over watering when we had 5 inches in 4 days while I was out of town and again I lost some to not enough water while I was out on a different trip.

I got my cuttings from Sue in CA. They are supposedly Portuguese figs. I got the Preto, Blanca and Aberberia from her. This past summer I did get to taste figs from all three. I'm looking forward to more and better figs this summer. Growth was slow and I have them in pots. Looking forward to the day I can plant them in the ground.
    "gene"