Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
figfarmer_gw

Brunswick Figs

figfarmer
18 years ago

Thanks to all for the help with posting pics. I was pasting in the wrong spot. Here are my Brunswicks. Gene's are close with the exception of the neck. I'm sure that varieties will have their differences due from tree to tree. Mine have very big eyes and a good sized void (hollow) inside the fig. They are very tasty. The big leaves are hand shaped, although mine are a bit more on the dull,blueish side instead of very green. These are growing in the California delta in extreme summer heat, which they love.

Comments (16)

• herman2_gw
    18 years ago

Figfarmer :Your fig is not Brunswick,here is the true Brunswick.Brunswick is the easiest to ID fig.The Leafe of the Brunswick is like no other.
    Your fig might be even better tasting and better fig than Brunswick but is not it.Please do not give cutting to other people as Brunswick because your fig can be cauducous,that needs polination by the fig wasp and if you give it to someone outside central and southern Ca.,it will never produce anything and people will wait years for nothing.Brunswick (True)is self fruitfull,and do not need polination ,will also fruit anywhere there is enough heat to ripe fruits.In Fact most of the figs you found wild are seadlings that need polination by the fig wasp,and will drop all fruits everywhere except parts of Ca.Where the Fig wasp is present.If you give a fig to someone tell him it is an unknown seadling with very good tasting fruits.Hope this will help

• figfarmer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Herman, I have never given, sold or traded a single cutting. You sure that mine are that different than yours? My leaves look alot like yours. I will investigate further.

• figfarmer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I see the difference now in the base of the leaf.

• herman2_gw
    18 years ago

You got it now.They are complettely different.Also one can be self fertile and other not.I know True Brunswick is,and that is very important for everybody else except Ca.

• eukofios
    18 years ago

Here is my local unknown fig (grown from a scavenged cutting) - I've also been thinking Brunswick. I think it looks like Herman's but would appreciate comment from an expert. The eye is more closed that other photos of Brunswick but maybe that difference can be attributed to climate or soil differences.

{{gwi:760600}}

{{gwi:760605}}

• herman2_gw
    18 years ago

Hi Eukofios:Well Your tree is as close as possible to Brunswick.If all the figs on it had closed eye like the picture it is Like an improved Brunswick.Interior exterior are the same only the eye is closed.
    I know that in your Climate The fig wasp do not live ,So the fig is self fertile.If i was you i would contact UCDAVIS and send them a few cuttings along with explaining them where you found the fig show them the picture of fruitss etc.I am sure that fig is the type they are looking for to Replace the Calymirna with.They have problem with Calimirna needing polination and getting deaseses introduced inside the fruit by the wasp.I am sure they will want this fig in their colection.Regards

• eukofios
    18 years ago

Thanks Herman for your advice. I will update when it bears this year. This is still a young tree (this is its third year or growth. last fall was its first crop).

• girlfromthegarden
    18 years ago

I'm thinking that these pictures definitely look much like the "Aunt Ruthie" figs I have (ones from her old house on Chincoteague Island in Virginia, that I started cuttings from in early fall of '04). Many of my plants (there were about 14 that made it) did set figs last year but spoiled during a hard rainy spell which made them split before ripening. They did have the huge open eye and general leaf shape of Herman's plants. Maybe this year I'll have more fruit and a working digital camera to post my own pics for comparison's sake. Thanks for putting these shots on here, they are truly a helpful reference (as are all the pictures provided in this forum - we have some masterful photographers among us!).

Sherry

• littletitch
    17 years ago

I have a large specimen of a Brunswick fig growing in a container (in the UK). I should like to know how to take successful cuttings...thank you for any help....John.

• gene_washdc
    17 years ago

John, if you have the option, airlayering would be best. Wrap a section of limb with moist peat moss, secure that with foil or plastic wrap, then wait three to five weeks (you may need to add a little water if the moss dries out). Roots will grow into the moss, cut off the limb below the new roots and pot up. Keep new plant well watered and in a shady spot for a week or so until it becomes better established.

If the situation doesn't allow for airlayering, try rooting cuttings. The forum is full of suggestions, here's one recent thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: rooting cuttings

• newtie
    17 years ago

aLooking for a reliable source for the true Brunswick fig. Any suggestions?

• herman2_gw
    17 years ago

Paradise Nursery got it

• shanc21
    11 years ago

Do you know what kind of figs the first posters figs are since they are not Brunswick? I have a fig tree that produces figs similar to the ones in the first post and I am trying to identify the variety. These figs are triangular in shape with a wide base, thick skin, and pinkish flesh. The leaf is 5 lobed. I have some pictures I will post a link to. The fig in question in the pictures is "fig 2". thanks for any help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shannon's Fig Pictures

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

A California Hybrid,made from a common mother and a caprifig father,it happens all the time in California where the fig wasp is willing and ready to pollinate the fruits.

• frischbier
    7 years ago

Hi folks, I am from Germany therefore my English is pretty poor. I read your discussion about the variety of brunswick. And Herman posted pictures of what he considers as brunswick. It differs pretty much from the fig that we here in Germany consider as brunswick. The leafs of our brunswick have only five fingers with no teeth, the rim is smooth.

Here summers are pretty cool and rainy. But only seldom humid. We have no problems with souring and splitting. As the name refers to the German city of "braunschweig" it would be odd if the brunswick would be sensitive to rain, because it is really rainy there.

I think there are, as so often, different varieties with the same name or the splitting depends on the temperature as we here have rain with low temperatures.

This forum is really good and Herman provide a lot of useful information, thanks guys.

• HU-762309456
    2 years ago

Keep getting red spots on my Brunswick fig ( outside in ground)

Anyone have a suggestion?