Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mail ordered Chicago figs

Posted by latinguy01 5B (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 23:15

I bought two Chicago figs (ficus carica) from Hirt's. Could anyone advice on what to do once they come in? Should I keep them in a cold room until the last frost? When should they be repotted? Any advice is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mail ordered Chicago figs

The instructions I read said to repot the tree as soon as it arrives into a two gallon or larger pot.

The tree I purchased from them was propagated through tissue culture. There are a lot of plusses and minuses to this form of propagation. One of the big minuses are the amount of time they take to reach maturity.

My tree arrived very healthy and green. It also had a more than a reasonable amount of healthy white roots. However the trees main stems diameter was so narrow at roughly one tenth of an inch. To me it looked more like a small seedling of some vine than a fig tree.

Right or wrong I don't expect this tree to produce a ripe fig of normal size until at least the summer of 2015.

o
RE: Mail ordered Chicago figs

actually that's where I got my hardy Chicago (I bought it towards the end of summer/early fall), I think I ended up with at least 15 figs maybe more the first full season last year and I lost a bunch when it fell down my deck stairs in heavy winds. I don't remember exactly what I did I think i let it leaf out a bit early in my basement and moved it in the garage overnight I temps were freezing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here