Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving Fig Tree from One Zone to Another?

Posted by safaribabe (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 23:48

Hi,

I have 5 fig trees in zone 16/17. They all have leaves to varying degrees. One is seriously lagging and not growing but the others are pretty leaved out. Two are from the nursery this year and were root bound so they put out some leaves and went right into fruiting. I pinched the fruit for this year.

I want to move them to Zone 7/8 in the foothills of the Sierras. Both of these areas have definite microclimates so it's hard to tell exactly where I fall.

Can I take the trees up now, now that they have broken dormancy, and plant them in zone 7/8? Will the cold, if we get some late spring frost, kill them?

Typically, it's better to wait until mother's day to put out veggies. Our apple and pear trees up there are budding/flowering so they think it's spring.

What do you all think? These are all figs that do well in both of these zones as nurseries in both places carry them.

And any advice for the lagging fig? It has about 4 leaves that are small and have stayed the same size for weeks. I have applied some fertilizer. They are a yellow/green color but not totally yellow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving Fig Tree from One Zone to Another?

what varieties of fig do you have? some figs are more cold tolerant than others. the details of your varieties is pretty important here.

-Little John

o

Three are Garden Mission (one doing poorly), one White Genoa and one Peter's Honey.

o

Question, due to my curiosity and possibly ignorance.... but where in the world is zone 16/17 ?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 17:51

Are these trees in containers or in the ground?

Al

o

Hi Jason,

The zones referred to here are Sunset climate zones [Sunset is a magazine based in the Bay Area of California].

For years, Sunset only covered the Western US, and until I clicked the link below, I did not know that they now have zones identified for the entire US. So, I learned something today!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset Climate Zones

o

Well, I learned something too! I thought it was a typo at first, but didn't think it would be possible to double-typo like that.

Looks like I'm all 32.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here