Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
safaribabe

Moving Fig Tree from One Zone to Another?

safaribabe
14 years ago

Hi,

I have 5 fig trees in zone 16/17. They all have leaves to varying degrees. One is seriously lagging and not growing but the others are pretty leaved out. Two are from the nursery this year and were root bound so they put out some leaves and went right into fruiting. I pinched the fruit for this year.

I want to move them to Zone 7/8 in the foothills of the Sierras. Both of these areas have definite microclimates so it's hard to tell exactly where I fall.

Can I take the trees up now, now that they have broken dormancy, and plant them in zone 7/8? Will the cold, if we get some late spring frost, kill them?

Typically, it's better to wait until mother's day to put out veggies. Our apple and pear trees up there are budding/flowering so they think it's spring.

What do you all think? These are all figs that do well in both of these zones as nurseries in both places carry them.

And any advice for the lagging fig? It has about 4 leaves that are small and have stayed the same size for weeks. I have applied some fertilizer. They are a yellow/green color but not totally yellow.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21