Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watering when dormant

Posted by luv_figs 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 23:55

I have a baby fig tree with 8 leaves, and it has been dormant for several months. i live in so cal, where it is generally 70 degrees, and i keep my plant inside, near the window sill for light.

i have been watering it very infrequently, barely even once a week. i figure if its not growing, it doesn't need that much water. should i water more often? definitely dry when i stick my finger in one inch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watering when dormant

If it has come out of dormancy and the 8 leaves are new, I would increase watering enough to keep the soil moist at all times. Given your location, and if you have the room, I think it would grow much better outside.

o
RE: watering when dormant

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 11:30

Roots don't succumb to dessication or over-watering all at the same time. The larger, more lignified roots are more resistant to moisture extremes, and as you might expect, the finer roots, the workhorses are more susceptible to extremes.

If you allow your soils to become too wet or too dry while the plant is quiescent, you run the risk of killing fine rootage. You should try to keep the soil at a moisture level that is approximately comparable to a well wrung sponge. When fine roots die, the plant must call on it's stored energy to regenerate roots - energy which might have been used to produce fruit, foliage, or other biomass.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here