Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raw_nature

Planting Figs in ground zone 5 Ohio

Raw_Nature
11 years ago

Hello,

I was looking around a nursery noticed a black turkey fig.. I asked the employee if it was hardy in our zone she said yes.. I mentioned that i thought you had to protect it during winter, she said no it is hardy enough.. From my understanding figs root is hardy but their branches would die off.. I thought black turkey was only hardy to zone 7 or around there? I am just curious why they would have figs in our zone.. I'm in north Ohio zone 5.. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Comments (13)

• frankcbd
    11 years ago

To be safe, I'd protect it for the first 2 years.

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

I'd say to protect the tree for the first 3 years
    with lots of mulch and bags of leaves covering the
    little tree during winter.
    Zone 5 is pretty cold already for fig trees in winter!

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

For zone 5,
    I should have said not just the first 3 years but also every winter after that!

The winter wind is too harsh on the limbs, the limbs will
    become brittle and die if not protected!

If you love your fig enough, you would want to protect
    it so it will live to give you many fig fruits!

I live in Ontario, Canada (zone 5 or 6 as the temperature has risen quite a bit in recent years). I have discovered a fig grower who loves his fig so much that he built a shed around his fig tree with a chimney and an extra fence to protect it!

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why would the nursery employee tell me its more than hardy, and there's no need to protect it then? Very confusing.. Anyways I am interesting in growing figs and I noticed quite a few people grow then in containers and bring them in.. My only problem is my garage gets below freezing and is not attached to the house. Could you guys give me advice on how to protect Container figs ?

Joe

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Figs are originally from Mediterranean climates, and like long, hot, growing seasons... and full sun. Think of Greece, Italy, Syria...nothing like Zone-5, Ohio.

The nursery employee is there to sell plants and trees, and make money. They should've told you that NO fig is hardy enough to withstand Zone-5 winters. Do not be fooled into thinking that you will get away with protecting and growing your trees, in-ground for a few years, and then, you're fine. Heed the advice already posted. All it takes is just one bad winter and all your previous good luck, and growing efforts might die....permanently. If the fig trees die down to the roots each year, they will have to regrow whatever was lost before they can give you new figs, and in your short season, that may never happen. If it does, you may never get your figs to ripen.

Zone-5 requires protections. Either bury the trees and heavily mulch, or grow in large containers, and store in an unheated garage that stays just above freezing.

"Brown Turkey" may be slightly more hardy than some other varieties, but it will still give you grief if not grown with protection in your harsh, climate, and short-season.

Don't let the warnings turn you off to growing figs. Containerized fig trees, or, heavily protected trees are your options. Others do it, and so can you.

Good luck.

Frank

This post was edited by BronxFigs on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 6:17

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Frank:

I hear you thanks.. I planned on growing in containers and was researching a few monthes ago.. I was just going to the nursery for fruit trees and stumbled on a fig... I kind of knew she didn't know what she was talking about, but... I have a unheared garage, not attached to the house, but it gets believe freezing.. How should i protect them? Also what size container do you guys use for figs? I assume 5 gal buckets are sufficient?

Thanks
    Joe

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

Definitely use the dolly to move your fig trees around,
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/16-in-Plant-Dolly-Black-DEV3000B/202675357

it is not worth risking yourself to injury when you can prevent it.
    Back injury causes lots of pain and costs a lot of money to cure!

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Frank... The problem is my garage has no electricity.. It freezes... I just can't wrap my head around how I could possibly keep my fig alive, and above freezing without electricity.... ?

Appreciate all your help,
    Joe

• Geoff S
    11 years ago

Hi Joe,

What have been your lowest low temperatures over the past five years or so in zone 5?

Here in zone 6, I have been successful in growing potted and in-ground figs for the past several years with protection but without additional heat source. The lowest outside temps have hit about -5 deg. F (five below zero) for several days running in early January...though the past two or so years have not been as brutal.

I keep my potted figs in a detached garage with no heating sources. I don't wrap or otherwise protect my plants in any special way other than keeping them in the garage. This holds true for established plants in large containers and for plants that were newly rooted that year and grown in smaller 1/2 gallon pots.

I cover my outdoor tree every year after leaf fall and sustained temps about 30-ish degrees. When it was small, I surrounded it with leaf bags and covered with plastic tarp. Now that it's larger, I build a temporary structure around it consisting of plywood with styro insulation glued onto the inside. Again, no additional heat source.

Search up "figloo" on this site for examples.

I would agree with all the other posts here that you should do something to protect your investment.

I hope this helps...Geoff

• timmy2green
    11 years ago

How about a basement? Do you have a basement that can serve the same purpose as an attached garage?
    Timmy

• Theresa Kotlar
    3 years ago

I have stored my black turkey fig and the basement for years it starts to grow leaves again mid-march I live in zone 5. I trim it back every year significantly. I rooted a couple in water last year. So now I have two.I gave one away. This year I'm going to try protecting one outside I have. I have also heard that people send it down and put it in a trench cover it with leaves and then take it up and stake it straight in the spring. There is a church near me that has figs Facing East next to the church building and they do not cover them all winter. They have lots of figs. Best of luck there is nothing better than fresh figs

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    3 years ago

There are so many ways to protect....You will learn) Always protect for those unexpected colder and harsh winters.