Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleeben

Still possible to get cuttings for 2012?

Fleeben
11 years ago

I'm new to figs and after reading incessantly about fig container culture, root pruning, and figs in general I have purchased three large trees which I'm going to pot up in 15 gallon containers.

The problem is the more I read about figs the more entranced I become. I have a list of varieties which I would eventually like to obtain. Obviously for practical reasons (limited selection at my local nurseries) and those of cost really I've decided the best way to satisfy my desire to grow more of these beautiful plants is to get cuttings and propagate those.

After doing some reading it seems like the best place to get cuttings is the annual UCD program. While I am sure I will take advantage of the program, is there anywhere where I can still get moderately priced fig cuttings for this year?

Comments (10)

• igo4fish
    11 years ago

try ebay, figs4fun.com, or just post what you are looking for here. Good luck!

• sweet_lemon
    11 years ago

Realistically, I think it's a little late to be able to get more than dregs of cuttings. You can try ebay, though you have to be careful about dealers there. And any cuttings that have been refrigerated can be a bit stale by now. You can ask here and elsewhere, but it is often considered rude for new people to come along and immediately to ask for cuttings.

But, what you can do is to learn as much as you can about successfully making, rooting and nurturing cuttings. Look around in your own area for existing fig trees, and regardless of the variety, ask the owner for cuttings and try your hand at it. They won't be the same as dormant cuttings, but learning is learning and come cutting season, you can hit the ground running.

Good luck.

• Fleeben
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I did not think of ebay and I was able to find some cuttings of some varieties relatively close to me! Two of the cultivars which I'm very interested in but which I have not yet been able to find are Deanna and Black Ischia. I know that Black Ischia is relatively slow growing and more difficult to root, but I have a lot of experience rooting and propagating a wide variety of plants and feel confident I'll reach some level of success with figs.

If anyone has any extra cuttings to spare I would be more than willing to compensate you for them (and of course pay shipping)! Like I said I'm primarily looking for either Deanna or Ischia, but will take anything.

Thanks again for all the help, this forum has been a great resource for a first-time fig grower!

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Cuttings are a possibility. In which part of the country do you live? What plans have you considered should you get some cuttings via the mail?

• Fleeben
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in northern Delaware, and since our winters are relatively cold I am planning on container culture as a means of growing my figs.

As for how I was planning on rooting the cuttings, I am going to root any dormant cuttings in plastic baggies with peat moss and paper towels. After the figs start rooting I am going to move them to my humidity controlled light shelf.

If the cuttings are not dormant I would probably skip the baggie step and just root them in the humidity dome.

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Wow, you sure have done your homework!

I now have 7 trees in the ground and three in pots which will be in the ground next month. Six different varieties! I live in Florida, but have seen fig trees in the ground as far north as NYC. Wilmington DE area is near enough to the coast that using pots or planting them in the back yard can be done successfully. Winter precautions will be required either way.

If you keep my email address (budbackeast@aol.com), I will gladly send you some cuttings in the fall. Wait, it's Delaware. When would be a good month for cuttings?

I will send them for free, postage paid and all. Have you gotten any figs or cuttings yet?

Oh, one more thing... You should put it in your profile that you are in Delaware, as then other fig lovers in your area will find you here in the forum. Fig-folk are a generous bunch. You'll get other free offers and probably meet other fig-folk in your area.

To find these people, post a new posting entitled, DELAWARE FIG LOVER SEEKING CUTTINGS AND ADVICE! That'll get you some good cuttings. Rejoice!

• Fleeben
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the tips bud.

• Ann
    11 years ago

Pardon my inexperience, but what would happen if you tried to root cuttings now? Would they not root as well....or would they die in transit because they are not dormant?

Thanks,

Ann in VA/MD

• hoosierbanana
    11 years ago

There are tons of trees inground, unprotected in Wilmington. You can find some cuttings that way... It is best to collect them during a break in their growth, sometime around June. There is also a guy who sells figs and suckers from his tree (looks like Sal's) on Craigslist later in the year, he is by Naamans and Marsh rds. I can find his phone # if you want to get one earlier than that. I think I might have a photo of the fruit as well.

p.s. I would rather talk over at F4F, why post here first? It is a sub-par fig forum, IMO.

• noss
    11 years ago

When mentioning green cuttings, what does that mean? I got some cuttings where the wood is hardened, but it's green in color, though it's not currently new growth.

Thanks,

noss

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm