Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to wax fig cuttings?

Posted by terry-upstate-ny 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 6:24

What is the best way to wax fig cuttings? I tried dipping the ends into the hot wax of a burning candle.
For my larger young trees, I could see dry pockets in the stem where I had taken cuttings from years earlier. It looks like a hollow core of the branch has no latex filling, so I have tried pouring hot wax into these areas, So far I see no bad effects to the tree.
I want to keep out any potential insects and diseases, that's why I'm doing this, also to prevent rot in the cuttings.

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to wax fig cuttings?

Terry-

Go to any hardware store and buy a wax ring that used to seal toilet bowls to the floor. Just ask for a wax ring for toilet bowls. They are cheap. The wax is very soft and almost greasy. Just smear some wax onto the cut ends of your fig cuttings, and you're done. Forget the candles, etc.

By the way, this wax is also a great to seal fresh pruning cuts, breaks in the bark, etc. Rub the cuts, etc. with powdered cinnamon, and then smear with wax to seal them.

Frank

o

Thanks Frank. I would never have thought of that. It sounds easier since there is no melting of the wax involved.
What does the cinnamon do?
I hope that your trees survived the winter alright.
Terry

o

Cinnamon is naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal.

I use it sometimes when I cut myself to stop the bleeding and help it heal.

I suppose that is what it does for plants too :-)

o

Sounds good.

o

• Posted by eboone 6a - SW PA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 14 at 17:03

If you have candles on hand and don't want to go buy a toilet bowl wax ring, you can just drip the wax from a burning candle onto a piece of paper or wax paper then dip the cutting end into the wax - worked well for me.

o

Thanks for the idea. I will continue to wax the cut areas of the fig cuttings and trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here