Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sk8vonfixess

Little fig plant not growing vertical? Just spreading

sk8vonfixess
11 years ago

I bought a magnolia fig from lowes and i have it pitted. The thing looks like a bonsai and is just spreading.

Halp lol

Comments (7)

• sk8vonfixess
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heres a pic of the plant

• soaht
    11 years ago

Looks like whoever prune it when it was growing wants it to be more of a bush form than a tree. I'm no expert, but looks like one of middle branch is growing up? You can probably cut off all those other spreading branch off and let only that middle one that looks going more straight up grow taller than top it off and new branch will form higher up. But being a spreading/bushy form can have it's benefit too, easier picking and pruning.

• wisner_gw wisner
    11 years ago

I'd let it grow this season and when it goes dormant you can start shaping it like you want.

• terry_upstate_ny
    11 years ago

It's a beautiful looking tree, so small to be getting figs already! They must be brebas growing on last years wood.
    Terry

• napapen
    11 years ago

Are you keeping it in the house? It would probably grow upward if outside. Just let it grow this year and prune when leaves fall off.
    Nice healthy plant!

Penny

• ottawan_z5a
    11 years ago

You can air-layer the two horizontal branches and leave the middle one, that seems growing upward, as is. If you start air-layers now, you can successfully detach the two air-layered plants in mid-June. You will have plenty of summer after that for the central branch on the mother plant to grow.

• sk8vonfixess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah we have this fig outside right now. We already ate a fig! Thank you everyone for the advice