Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
photos of large trees?

Posted by catlady4444 7A (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 7:14

Hello,

I am struggling through my 3rd spring with figs...all died back to the ground but are still alive.

Since the massive snows this winter snapped my paw paws in half (after a *two* year wait for the varieties I wanted!!), I decided to grow hardy kiwi and elderberries instead. This has necessitated a re-mapping of the "orchard" and I decided to move 2 of my figs. I was delighted when I dug up my Celeste (which I received about 16 months ago as a rooted cutting) because its root system looks fabulous---I had to cut through some thick roots just to get it out of the ground. (I know: ouch!)

I certainly know that fig trees can grow quite large, but all this struggling has me feeling defeated. Most of the posts on this message board concern rooting cuttings, varieties, and swapping...but I'm wondering if anyone has photos to share of large fig trees in all their glory, so that I can 1) live vicariously and 2) know I was right in re-dedicating so much ground space to my miserable baby figs.

Thanks everyone,

Ann

PS I have Sal's and Celeste.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: photos of large trees?

My guess is that you're planting these trees out with no protection. Figs require winter protection in your climate.
here's some info Figs care in cold climate

In the right climate fig trees can get large and glorious. Here's an orchard in Mallorca, Spain.

Bass

o

Bass,

That photo is very inspiring! But...I am absolutely protecting them---following directions from this forum to the letter!!! Just having some bad luck, I guess.

Thanks for the photo!

Ann

o

I'm in 7b in Eastern Va. but "7" is not very far away.
I see figs here in Va. that are bigger than the one in the pic and I have never seen a Winter protected fig here...eventhough I am sure there are some. The trunks are different (not so straight) but I see larger crowns and I think larger trunks.
A long time ago I posted some pics of figs in Williamsburg Va. that are rather large.
There are other Figs in Seville Spain that make that fig in the pic look like a twig. There is a park in Seville that has fig trees that look like large Maple trees in size and shape.
I have a Celeste here in the yard that has about 7" wood in it from about 7 years growth. Only last year did it begin to be worth its space that it takes up.

o

Not that most people would want a fig tree that large, but following is an old photo of a Mission fig tree many years ago in California. The yellow arrow points to the man underneath the tree. The picture makes a case for why one might want to keep their figs pruned!

Photobucket

o

Here are 2 picture of large fig trees in NJ,your climate Zone.
They could be bigger but are pruned to this size because they are more productive when judiciouselly pruned.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

This is the mother tree of my blk unknown located in NY It got trimmed down to 5-7 ft each year so it could be protected

Blk mother tree

Blk mother tree

Blk mother tree
Sal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here