Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Fig Problems

moosemac
13 years ago

I'm new to figs and bought this one on a whim. It overwintered in my basement but started to leaf out about a month ago so I brought it upstairs. 2 weeks ago I put it out on a 50+ degree day for a couple hours. I think the windchill was too much because the edge of the leaves started to curl when I brought it back in. Anyway now it seems all the leaves even the new ones are curling and dying from the edges in at an alarming rate. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Comments (6)

• tmc2009
    13 years ago

Hi, I made the same mistake last year. I'm in Massachusetts. I didn't have a shed to put the figs in to stay dormant so I put them in the cellar. They came out of dormancy early because the cellar was only around 55 F degrees. I installed some grow lights because the growth was thin and weak looking. I had great green leaves but when I put them outside in early spring the leaves started to brown around the edges and then the whole leaf looked burnt. The problem is that you have to transistion into full sun exposure. Grow lights or just in the ambient light in the cellar are just a fraction of the energy that the leaves are exposed to under the sun. One analogy would be if you were raised in an isolation tank filled with water and you just floated there in low light. If you left the tank you probably would not be able to walk and the sun would hurt your eyes and you better wear some sun block. When the growth happens in natural conditions it develops stronger because it adapts to the sun and the physical conditions of the environment around it.
    If you have a shady side your property, put them there or under a tree to break up the sun light. Ambient light outside is probably stonger than any grow light inside. So transistion the fig tree into sunlight. My trees looked ratty for the rest of the summer but they still produced figs.

• moosemac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tmc2009,
    Thank you for the response. I didn't think about hardening a tree like I do my veggie plants but it makes sense. I'll start it slow in the shade once it gets a little warmer.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

tmc2009 is right. That why I allow my Fig trees out of the Garage on a sunny day for may be one hour or less. Dormancy has to be broken Gradually.

• dieseler
    13 years ago

When plant in leaf indoors just like vegetable seeding trays indoors you cannot put in sun outdoors without assimilating to the sunlight little by little.
    Fig plants are no different.

Now figs plants still dormant without leaf can be brought into full sun without harm .
    Just like sowing veg seeds in the garden without harm by the sun.
    This is my experience thru out the years doing the fig shuffle to force my "Sleeping" figs plants out of dormancy in my climate. They never have any leaves at that point in time.
    Martin

• moosemac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all. Unforutnately my fig tree came out of dormancy way too early so it's been a challenge to keep it going. It's still cold outside and there definitely isn't enough sunlight for it inside. I'll start hardening it off once the weather cooperates a little more.

• budbackeast
    13 years ago

Same here in Florida but of opposite temperatures. I keep my healthy saplings on the shady side of the house for a couple months before going full sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four fig saplings