Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoff_ri

What to Expect after Root Pruning

Geoff S
11 years ago

I'd appreciate advice-info-resources regarding root pruning questions. I've never done a substantial root prune, so forgive me if I'm asking basic questions.

Yesterday, I root pruned a potted fig that I believe to be Celeste. It's five or six seasons old and about five feet tall, grown from a cutting of an in-ground tree. Three years ago, I moved it up to a Home Depot-style, plastic, half whisky barrel with only minimal root pruning. I trimmed about 1/3 of the roots off. There were some roots circling around the root ball, mainly on the bottom, not too much up the sides. I trimmed the bottom four inches crosswise -- i.e., I cut a disk off the bottom. I also made vertical cuts top to bottom and took out wedges of root/soil, leaving a *-like (star) pattern if you looked down on the plant. Repotted to same pot with mix of potting mix, compost, barley hulls, a little course sand, lime, and extended release fertilizer beads (not too much). Questions...

1. What should I expect in the way of fruiting this season? I assume that there will be a decrease in the number and maybe quality of fruit...any thoughts on this?

2. Should I not let it carry as much fruit this year? Should I pick off immature fruits?

3. I usually pinch back the growing tip after about five or six leaves. Since this encourages additional growth elsewhere, should I avoid this? Or continue to pinch and then pinch off the newly forced growth?

4. Fertilizer: Should I fertilize as normal or give additional phosphorous?

5. Is it okay to air layer from this tree this season? Is it okay to go big on the air layer, like a main branch that carries about 1/5 to 1/4 of the leaves?

Thanks much,
Geoff in RI

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County