Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justfigured

Repot

justfigured
13 years ago

Hello all. This is my first post, although I have been reading for months. I have two small fig trees in containers, and I think I missed the boat on repotting them for this season. I believe they really need to be repotted, so I am looking for advice on how to repot at this inopportune time. They have both begun to leaf out.

They have been in these containers for 3 years, and my plan is to return them to these same containers. They are each in a large (approximately 15 gallon) container, and the soil appears spent. When working the top of the soil, the fine roots appear to have completely colonized the soil.

Had I not been so late, I was planning to root prune (and possible bare root) and repot into a mix of pine bark, perlite and fines sifted from soil conditioner that I used last year on a different project. The fines have the consistency of peat. I was also going to lime and, after a period of adjustment, fertilize with a 24-8-16 with minors. I do not know how much, if any, of this is advisable at this late date. I would appreciate any guidance. Thank you in advance for any input.

Comments (5)