Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keepitlow

Desert King fig

keepitlow
14 years ago

Is it a good one to get for taste and container growing in Z6?

Comments (10)

• gorgi
    14 years ago

The DK is a "breba-only-fig" (fruit on last year wood),
    unless one is blessed with them-fig-wasps.
    So far I had very little success with any of the
    "San Petro" figs here in NJ (others had better luck, and
    may differ).
    Sadly, all SP figs are on the top off "my" list to
    avoid...

The DK is famous to be very good for the PNW.

• keepitlow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What can you recommend for a green fig that is a good producer, sweet and easy to grow?

Thanks

• paully22
    14 years ago

Latarrula would fit your needs, especially pot culture. However if your are in PNW, DK is an excellent fig to have in terms of reliability, taste & producer.

LOL George, I am the opposite -- I tend to focus on San Pedro types as anchor variants. Most of my San Pedro's are young, likely 3 years away from giving me their real results.

• keepitlow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in NE US. The seller said he also had Oregon Honey. What do you think about it?

• ejp3
    14 years ago

I think DK is a must for the northeast if growing in pots like you intend. I say this because it gives you the earliest figs of any variety I can think of, the figs are big, and they are very good tasting. Now I know of some one further north that has success with dk in the ground, but that's too much work for me.

• joanicole
    13 years ago

I had a brown turkey fig that was in the ground for at least 10 years, when some gophers got into the roots and almost toppled the tree over.
    I rescued it and put the tree (broken up by gophers) into three pots. They've been languishing in these pots for several years, producing no figs.

I want to know if "Brown turkey" or "desert King" is better for my area, Ashland, Oregon, zone 7? I want to replant this tree in the fall with some chicken wire (1") underneath it. I'd like to buy another tree if anyone has advice on the best variety.

I LOVE FIGS AND PICK THEM RIPE EVERY TIME I GO TO SOUTHERN CA!

• thisisme
    13 years ago

joanicole I live in the desert but I have heard many members from OR and WA say that Desert King is the tree to have where you live.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Desert King is a favorite in the PNW, but Violette de Bordeaux is also extensively grown. Violette is suited to growing in pots and the figs are reputed to be quite tasty.

I don't know how cold hardy Violette is to be put in the ground in Oregon.

• murkwell
    13 years ago

I think Desert King is supposed to be quite vigorous, I wonder if that makes it more challenging to grow in a pot.

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Naw no challenge if a fig plant is vigorous in pot long as 1 has the will to manage a fig plant by root pruning and pinching when its needed.
    Martin