Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mohammadlawati

Help me ID and tell me it is not a caprifig

MohammadLawati
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

So yeah, if you would remember my post: Help! Before I Rip My Fig Out!
Since then I have been reading the forums on how to grow figs and to be precise that tree on the link is 1 year old NOW. At that time it was about 6 months old or something like that... When I was reading to decide whether to remove it or keep it I read that 1 year old figs produce bad figs or they drop them if they happen to produce. I think it is stronger now it is 1 year old. What do you think?
it produced fruits that dropped at this stage last year:

It tasted like cardboard... nothing really.

I will help to identify it with pictures:
These are from the same tree!?! other leaves are between these two patterns (these are the extremes in the same tree):

the fruits are about this size now (Big fingers):

A photo of the eye:

That fruit split:

Again to the main topic:
1- Is this a caprifig that I should lose hope on it bearing edible fruits?
2- I have two other varieties that I bought to replace this but ended up planting them nearby which I know to be common, and I know we have fig wasps because I saw wild figs growing and bird droppings sprout fig plants...
Sooo maybe these tiny black flies that I can't photograph because they fly away or too small are fig wasps?
3- Fig leaves smell like fruits? what about that?
4- I pinched 1/5 of the tree, can I expect fruits from that part if it was a common fig?
5- If you can identify it, what variety you think it is? or closest to? (it is from Syria).
Thanks to all you guys in these forums. :)

This post was edited by MohammadLawati on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 11:28

Comments (2)