Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amjg66

Any Atreano Gold fig info?

amjg
14 years ago

I was at a local nursery and came across an Atreano Gold fig tree. Can anyone give me any info on this tree.

Comments (21)

• bjs496
    14 years ago

do a search for "FDV"

• ejp3
    14 years ago

In my area there is a nursery that carries what they call atreano golden. In my opinion it is the same fig that belleclare sold as atreano. Large greenish yellow figs with a red interior. I can post a picture of the fruit if that helps.

• amjg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is a Belleclare fig tree? Also ejp3 I live in NY (Long Island)I was wondering if we saw this tree at the same nursery

• ejp3
    14 years ago

Amigo, I sent you an e-mail.

• loslunasfarms
    14 years ago

Just to clear up some confusion, Belleclares was not the original source of the tree. It was Hanc Mathes, who gave it to them and a few other members from what I remember.

• rob5020
    13 years ago

Hello ejp,
    I was wondering could you please post a pic of your Golden Atreano?Thanks
    Robert

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

I have an Atreano Gold fig. The leaf pattern is a little different than Atreano. I have 2 Goldens and one 4 year old Atreano. All three are beautiful trees. The fruit is green then when it ripens it turns gold. I'll post some pictures later. I wish I had 2 more Goldens, they are beautiful. If you guys get one at your local nursey, contact me privately...I will definately pay you for the tree and your trouble.

Dennis
    Charlotte, NC/7b

• rob5020
    13 years ago

Hi Dennis where did you buy your golden Atreano's at?What nurseries carry it?Thanks and God Bless.
    Robert

• leon_edmond
    13 years ago

There is only one "Atreano" fig in the industry. This is the name given to a variety imported from the Naples area by a very special fig lover. Hanc shared it with the Belleclare Nursery years ago and the rest is history. We should leave the name alone.

• rob5020
    13 years ago

Hi Leon,
    Could I please see a pic of your Atreano?Or could you please describe it?Thanks and God Bless.

• leon_edmond
    13 years ago

• rob5020
    13 years ago

Thank you Leon very nice looking fig.

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Here is mine:It has leaVES AND FRUITS iDENTICAL TO dR. lEON TREE.
    I leave mine longer on tree so that is why they look yellower,and not because the tree is different.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Sorry Leon and Herman2 but I do have a Arteano Golden Fig. I got mine miss labeled by Lowes 2 years ago. I also have a 3 year old Atreano Fig. The leaf patterns of both of my trees are not the same. And the fruit on both are green until they start to get ripe. My Atreano Golden fig turns a Chartruese color. See attached link for more information. cheers, Dennis

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Atreano matches my green fig

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Dennis,

In the photo in the picture of the second post-photo, it looks as though the eyes of the figs are tightly closed. Are they? And are the eyes of the regular Atreano that tight--That is, if they eyes are that tightly closed as they appear?

Might it be called Atreano Gold because the pulp is not as red as the regular Atreano. The one Herman gave me to try seemd to have a darker pulp, but maybe I'm not remembering it correctly. The burst of delicious flavor overshadowed anything else because it was so good.

Thanks,

noss

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Hello Leon and others! I have a confession. My Atreano Golden came from a friend of mine and I think his last name is Mecurio. He use to live about an hour and a half east of me just southh of Raleigh. I found my notes and now understand what happened. The fig he sold me was called Golden Atreano. I found the original label when I moved all my trees inside. What happened to me was squirrels! I make metal tags on all my tree and I found the metal tag bent down tucked in the corner of the container. After investigating other trees, I found 5 others with the same problem.....SQUIRRELS! Anyway, the tree is really called Atreano Gold. The leaf patterns are different from Atreano but grows very fast like Atreano. I remember now, Mr Mercurio said he purchase a lot of rare cuttings up north and also got cuttings from friends back home in Italy and Canada. He had a lot trees for sale back in 2008 and I bought around 8 or 10 from him. One day he emailed me saying he was moving back home and needed to sell his tree collection. I was suppose to go visit and purchase all his trees but could not make the trip. The eye on these figs are closed. I plan on planting this tree in my yard come spring. In my pictures below I called the fig Green Turkey because I did could not find the label. I thought I bought the tree from Lowes. The reason why is in 2008 I started my collection and bought 2 Brown Turkey figs and repotted 4 trees in the exact same container color and all. All 4 trees had their tags removed and I assume I got them from Lowes but that day I only bought 2 from Lowes. I found the 2 BT from Lowes. They were in a different location from my other trees and I thought my Atreano Golden was the BT. Well, I"m glad I located my notes and labels. I relabeled all my trees and double labels some. Here are a few more pictures:

cheers, Dennis

• leon_edmond
    13 years ago

Here's photos of the Atreano eye:

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Dennis, This brings out the importance of keeping notes and records, etc. Glad you found your information to be able to tell us.

Please keep us informed about this tree--very interesting and the pulp is a different color from the Atreano that Herman let me taste. His was more red.

noss

• paully22
    13 years ago

Noss, a few more days ripening would give it more colour. My brother loves his figs just before fully ripen. I prefer them fully ripen with juicyness & flavor. Also, there are 2 Atreano's ---- one is known as Atreano RR(Rolling Rivers) and the other is Atreano OR(Original). If I am not wrong, Jon had said the OR is better, may be not by a stretch. My RR interior is reddish. Have no figs from my OR yet.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Paully,

Thanks for the information.

Herman's Atreano, if I remember it correctly, was redish all through the pulp, but it was so good, I ate it all very quickly. :) I could be mistaken.

noss