Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leopardmoth

Fig leaves curling, have brown stains on the back *Pics*

LeopardMoth
13 years ago

My uncle's Celeste fig is probably around 50 years old -- though really, the current tree is an established sprout of the original tree. It's nice-sized and produces well.

Yesterday, my uncle noticed that some of the leaves are starting to curl up, and some of those have a reddish-brown stain on the back -- like the edge of a paper towel that has been touched to water, and allowed to soak some up.

It doesn't look like or fit the description of rust, and it's hard to find pictures of fig leaf curl... the same organism apparently causes peach leaf curl, and the leaves of peach trees with it end up badly deformed. That isn't the case here, but I don't know if it acts the same on fig trees.

Here are some pictures of a typical affected leaf:

Does anyone know what this is? Thank you for any information you may have! :)

Comments (16)

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I am not really an expert on leaves disease. But I alsways apply Fungicide to all my trees. We had a lot of rain last week and I found fungus on my grape tree. I applied Fungicide to every body just in case.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi FP,

What kind of fungicide did you use for your fig trees?

I had a few leaves on some of my fig trees that look like the photos. I've never seen it before. It looks like rust, but the rust my trees have always had hits the tops of the leaves. If it's rust, it's been brought in by new trees I got elsewhere. :(

noss

Thanx,

noss

• Scott F Smith
    13 years ago

It looks like sunscald to me, if its cool then you get a really hot day the leaves can get unhappy. I'm not completely sure of that diagnosis, and you may want to mark some of the spots and see if they grow. Sunscald spots should not grow since the damage has been done. Curling is also a common symptom of too much sun.

Scott

• noss
    13 years ago

Why would the brown be on the underside if it's sunscald, though?

My trees that that brown coloring showed up on are in different amounts of sun and only a few leaves of the tree out back had that coloring on the undersides of the leaves and a couple out front, which don't get as much sun as the tree in the backyard. It's a puzzle and I hope we haven't discovered a new disease/affliction.

noss

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Noss I use Copper Fungicide. Made by Bonide. It is organic. In extreme cases I use Captan. Captan is toxic but really kills any fungus comes in its way. If you spray Captan make sure to wear goggles and gloves. Some people recommend wearing masks I just try not to breathe close to the spray.

• LeopardMoth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We were at a nursery, and my uncle ran into an excessively knowledgeable supervisor (I mean seriously knowledgeable!). After talking to him about lots of things, my uncle suddenly thought of the fig tree. He described the problem to him, and the supervisor asked whether the stains were near the stem (indicating the sides of the heel of his hand) or nearer the far tips of the leaves (indicating his fingertips). My uncle replied that they were near the stem.

The supervisor, without hesitation, replied that the tree had gotten too much water. He assured us that this was no fungus or disease, merely too much water.

Sure enough, we had recently had a lot of rain, and my uncle had watered the tree a couple of times. Now that it hasn't rained much in a bit, the tree started looking better -- until we had another deluge a few days ago, and a bunch more leaves curled up.

Hopefully, with some dry days, it'll recover. Thank you to everyone who looked and tried to figure this out! :)

• fatnsassytexan
    13 years ago

I have the same thing on some of my trees the last couple years. It's not rust and not from too much water(here at least) as we're in a moderate drought. I was concerned at first, but nothing ever came of it. It's nothing to be concerned with. Hope this helps! Tim

• tootsc13
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have recently planted a small fig tree from a cutting, in a large planter because the ground where I live is Stoney it was growing fine before I transplant it.

it looks like the pictures above but also has brown on the edges like bugs may be eating the leaves. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem, I would be entirely greatful. I live in Texas, north of Austin. Thank you.

• Colleen Heater
    8 years ago

I have a new dwarf fig tree and it has brown spots and curling. from the discussion above, which is confusing, it sounds like I have too much sun or too much watering. here are some pics, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• ma_delgobbo
    8 years ago

Like leopard moth said, the location of the brown UNDER the leaves at the base is a sign of overwatering

You can just leave it for a week or so without water

As far as yours Coleen I think it needs some MORE water due to the curling. Brown spots all over could be because you recently planted it and it's in shock

In fact the leaves could fall off but not to worry, it'll come back next year

I would put a nice mulch around the base, better year a bit of cow manure (not touching the trunk) this should help as well

• tricor41
    8 years ago

The leaves on my fig tree all turned brown underneath and eventually all the leaves fell of prematurely. This happened last year and now it is starting again. I have sprayed it with fungicide, but it does not seem to have any affect. Does any one have any suggestions.

• A J
    8 years ago

In my experience, you really don't grow figs but basically just get to watch the fig experience. Figs will do whatever they want to do and there isn't much you can do.

Your new growth looks fine. Keep the area below mulched and maybe some light compost and/or manure (not touching plant) and there is little else you need to do. If your climate is very arid or experiences extended droughts you will have to water.

• KC LaRosa
    5 years ago

Hello, I found this while I was searching for an answer to my fig problem. My leaves look exactly like pictures you posted. Did you ever discover what the problem was? Thank you!!

• kingtor
    5 years ago

This is a six month old dwarf fig growing indoors. The lower leaves look good, but some of the upper leaves are curling and a few have dropped off with some brown spots.

It has one fig growing. Should I spray with a copper fungicide?

• dieseler
    5 years ago

Leopardmoth, yes to much water eventually those markings will turn blackish.

Not a big deal but can be in heavy mixtures as the roots will stay wet which fig trees do not favor and what is called wet feet.

Martin

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County