Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antonv_gw

Final conclusion on rooting gels and powders.....

antonv
18 years ago

THEY SUCK!

Anton V =)

Comments (6)

• gene_washdc
    18 years ago

Anton, you're not going to leave us hanging are you? How about some details. I would agree however that with rooting figs, one doesn't need powders.

• antonv
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, so this is my second year rooting figs. Ive used miracle grow rooting hormone, dip n grow and rootech(most expensive). They all seem to totally stunt the rooting process. This year, i tried numerous scenarios with different hormones, and soil setups. Basically, every single cutting that had a rooting enhancer on it did not root at all. all of the ones that did, even in undesirable conditions, rooted-FAST!. now, ive never tired these products on other types of plants.....they probably do work. as for me, i lost about half of my uc davis cuttings, which might be a good thing, since it was probably too much for me to handle anyway. next year is a different story!!

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    18 years ago

I have gotten good results with rooting hormones.

I always use liquid hormones, powder hormones are not good for figs. For me, the best option is a 24 hours soaking in a 100 ppm iBA solution. The roots develop quicker and more abundant.

Regards

• eukofios
    18 years ago

I have used rooting hormones on figs, grapes and roses.

Without being scientific at all, I've had success and failure, with and without rooting hormones on all of the above.

No advise from this, just the comment that maybe it helps sometimes, maybe it hurts sometimes. I tend to use it as "insurance" for special cuttings, or treat some with and leave some without in case it hurts or helps & I just really want them to grow.

I'm still amazed that, with or without rooting hormone, it's possible to take a stick & actually grow a plant or tree from it. I doubt that I will ever lose my sense of wonder that this is possible.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    18 years ago

Frankly, I've had my best rooting percentage by burying cuttings under about 3-4 inches of dirt in my garden in the Fall. The next spring they send up leaves. They've formed roots by June/July and can be transplanted.

• figtreeundrgrnd
    18 years ago

Hi all! dave in nova...your technique is how I picked my name! It worked for me!
    My dad just gave me a cutting which is sitting in a pail of water. I just bought 'Rootone' w/fungicide and was going to try it on this stick as I'm hoping it might root faster...now I'm not so sure.
    Well...nothing ventured...