Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
recoil_rob

Question for Al, container mixture recipe

recoil_rob
13 years ago

Al,

As you may remember last year, with your help, I went the full mixture route in my big tubs.

I was wondering of I need to replenish the lime I added to the mixture? Seems that it would have dissolved easily, been absorbed or washed through when watering. Should I replenish?

thanks, Rob

Comments (6)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I've been really busy with bonsai repotting & haven't been around much - sorry I missed this, Rob.

If you're watering with tap water, the general tendency is for media pH to gradually rise because of a build-up of carbonates, so unless you start seeing distorted leaves indicating a Ca deficiency, you should be good for up to 3 years with the original liming. If you ever DO see any indication of a Ca deficiency, I'd add gypsum in subsequent years instead of lime because it essentially has no impact on media or soil solution pH. Using Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 remedies the issue nicely & ensures your plants are getting all 12 essential elements they normally get from the soil, and in a ratio equivalent to that in which plants actually USE nutrients. There is a considerable advantage in supplying nutrients in a favorable ratio because it allows you to fertilize at the lowest rate possible w/o having deficiencies, which makes it easier for plants to take up water and the nutrients dissolved in water.

Al

• recoil_rob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to answer that Al, I appreciate it.

I just got my Foliage Pro 9-3-6 and have started watering with it but I have to figure a better way to water. 3 time s a week I mix up a 50% mixture, about 3tsp/5gals and split it among the 3 tubs, about 1.5 gals in each. Problem is most of it ran through and out the bottom.

Perhaps watering less often or with more slowly with a watering can? I don't mind paying the premium for the FP936 but I don't want to waste it watering the ground...

BTW, the trees look pretty good this year after last years brutal trimming and repotting. I can see dozens of figs starting already (breba crop?) and new growth. I'll post pics in a few weeks.

thanks, Rob

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, Rob, what about fertilizing just once a week?

Josh

• recoil_rob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Suppose I could but I'm of the mind that the more consistent the better, i.e. lower levels at more frequent intervals.

I was mixing it in a 5gal pail and pouring it in, I think a large watering can would be better.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

A lot of folks go by the adage "Weakly Weekly" for fertigation.
    You definitely want to keep the nutrients consistently available at all times
    for the very best growth, but I think you can accomplish this at a weekly rate.

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I fertigate every watering in the winter when I water houseplants & tropical Ficus & other trees with a watering can with a fine homemade spout, but in the summer, with more than 300 containers to tend, I only fertilize every week, or even 2 weeks when plants are growing slowly (heat or cold).

Al