Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missourigrown

Root Pruning Question

missourigrown
9 years ago

I have a brown turkey fig that has never been root pruned since I was somewhat ignorant of proper fig care. It's living in a large container that's brought into an unheated greenhouse attached to my house, probably about the same winter climate as a garage. I read every article about root pruning I could find on this forum, was ready to do the work and the dang thing is now leafing out with fruit on it before I could get it done. The weather this year has been cold and ridiculous, so every weekend I planned on doing it we had stupid cold days.

So is it too late to prune this year? Or do I go ahead and sacrifice the fruit just to get it done? I've never had any fruit mature, so I'm kind of excited about that...but willing to let it go to make sure it stays healthy. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (7)

• mrfigs
    9 years ago

Depending on how severe you cut back, you will lose your leaves and possibly some of the breba crop. It will not kill the tree though and it will shoot out new leaves soon. Although resliant, figs do not like their roots disturbed during the growing season. Personally I would wait until next winter. You will be saddened if it does drop leaves and fruit, particularly if it is the only fig tree you have. If you have others, then it is a small sacrifice. If it is root bound and you leave it, ensure you give it ample watering. Figs in pots need far more water than those in the ground.

This post was edited by mrfigs on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 5:37

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

mrfigs, I am planting a fig this coming weekend into a 20" pot and curious how often you think it should be watered. It will probably be in ferti-lome potting mix. I sure hope the OP salvages their tree. Thanks for any advise. Good luck.

• mrfigs
    9 years ago

Watering depends on your location and climate but figs in pots and most plants, need more watering than those in the ground unless you have them in a self-watering type pot. This is particular the case when it is a small pot or it has become root bound because the soil will dry out quicker. You also must remember that the pot itself gets warmer than ground soil. The soil should never dry out; it should always be dark and moist in spring and summer. In hot climates or even warm temperate, they are often watered every day in summer. As long as your pot and soil is free draining, it is hard to kill a fig even with too much water. Just use some common sense and keep monitoring but better moist than dry grey soil.

• missourigrown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since it's my only tree, I'll wait. I lost the other due to not seeing a forecast for an early hard freeze...one survived, the other didn't.

Can I cut it back in the fall after it drops all of its leaves and appears dormant? I keep missing the window of opportunity in late winter/early spring right before it buds out because I'm so busy with seedlings/gardening because I grow for a farmers market.

Thanks very much for the info - I appreciate it!

• mrfigs
    9 years ago

Yes, once it goes dormant it is ok . The plant is virtually sleeping but only do this if it is necessary. If you prune, feed with seaweed in spring which you should do anyway.

• missourigrown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help and the tip about seaweed fertilizer. I've got some that I can put to good use.

• mrfigs
    9 years ago

Seaweed on it's own is a soil conditioner and not really a fertiliser. If you use a fertiliser with added seaweed, go easy.

Sponsored