Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
connecticut growers

Posted by ct_tom 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 12:33

is there anyone here growing figs in ct. I am wondering if the potted figs produce well? I have seen and talked to others about covering/burying the trees but at times it is hit or miss. what have others done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: connecticut growers

I have an in-ground fig tree in RI...which tends to be a little colder than CT. It's doing fine, but it does take work to care for it over the winter. I used to keep it potted, but it always suffered from being under-watered when I leave for a week during the summer.

There's a good deal of info in the archives on how to over-winter potted and in-ground figs.

o

Thanks Geoffs.

Anyone,
For smaller plants would it be worth while to plant in garden then dig up when bringing in for the winter?

o

Hi,
I'm in CT. All my figs are in pots. For several reasons I do not plant them in ground, one being that I'm unable to winterize those in ground. After they go dormant the pots go into my garage where they stay until they start budding and the weather is warm enough. They are now outside on the ground, most leafing, (hoping we don't get a frost). During the summer most of them will send roots right into the ground. So far I've been able to find a strong man to dig them out and put them into the garage in the fall and take them out again in Spring. I don't think there is any advantage in planting the smaller figs and then digging them up. Just my opinion.

Good luck,
Peg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here