Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have your in ground fig tree leaf out yet?

Posted by philly_gardener 6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 12:44

I left me 3-year-old VDB in ground outside without any protection. There is still nothing on the branches this morning.

Another smaller plant that I air-layered last fall that I grow in a pot (spent the winter in the garage) now has small leaves.

Should I assume my in ground fig tree is dead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have your in ground fig tree leaf out yet?

they dont leaf out until may usually

o
Thank you for giving me some hope!

Thank you for giving me some hope!

o

I have a 4yr old vdb inground in south jersey that dies back half way every year. It is still early for this area but I have noticed some buds swelling on my inground trees. Trees in pots wake up a month earlier for me.

o
Thank you both!

Thank you both!

o

Mine is putting on leaves but I'm in 7b S.C. I don't have any die back during winter, it doesn't get that cold here.

I would think it is fine!

Check the small branches, if they bend and aren't brittle it should be OK!

o

Even if the branches do die back there is a good chance it will grow back from the roots. I had 5 trees die back to the ground, and all have little shoots or at least leaves or buds poking out of the ground or at the base by now.

My vdb died back quite a bit also. Only one branch is begining to leaf out, but there is new growth at the base of the tree.

Yes...even in zone 8.

o

Hi,

I live in Ont, Canada (zone 5 or 6 as the temperature
has risen in recent years).
My in-ground fig tree hasn't leaf out yet.
I moved my indoor fig to the ground last September,
so I am checking it how this little tree will leaf!

o

Hi Philly, born and raised there and now in Delaware, I had one in SW philly that we did not cover that came back every year. You should be ok but watch out for wind next winter unless protected by walls, fence etc. I would cover anyway. I don't get any leaves until about mid may (Delaware) but I already have a few green buds on my Chicago Hardy.

Good Luck
Bob

o

Second year in ground. Leafing out and showing a few tiny figs. BH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here