Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txcass83

Maximizing fig fruit production?

txcass83
12 years ago

Hi y'all -

I planted a fig tree in the fall of 2009 in Texas. It is a Texas Fig, which I think is just another name for Brown Turkey. Anyhow, it made it through the first winter beautifully, and produced several figs for me in the summer of 2010. Then, the winter of 2010-11 was pretty harsh, and the fig died to the ground, but came back beautifully! However, instead of 1 main trunk, it made 4 trunks. It did produce figs, but with our intense heat and harsh drought of 2011 the figs did not grow/ripen properly (the tree survived well though). This year, we've had beautiful weather, and the figs are a plenty! :) I'm kind of a "let the plant grow how it wants" gal, but I really want a good solid fruit production. It may be too late to prune, but I'm wondering if pruning helps fruit production like in other kinds of fruit trees? If so when is the best time, and how much do you prune?

Just a side not of loveliness about figs. I read that they help women with post-partum depression! And, since I'm expecting in July, I'm really looking forward to eating these small delights. They are by far my most favorite fruit ever! :) :)

Comments (2)