Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vancouver Fig and little rocks :)

Posted by hoh_gal PNW (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 13:46

Hello all,

Two years ago I bought a vancouver fig for two reasons 1) stated that it would bear fruit in first year and 2) highly suitable for the Pac NW climate.

Well, the first year it did bear fruit, if you call the little rocks that never matured beyond the size of a shooter marble fruit.

Year 2 was alittle better, but still the fruit did not mature. Granted, we've been a bit cool the last two summers.

The fig is about 4' tall and has 3 major branches with a few suckers at the bottom. It's very aeriated. I've got my fig in the sunniest spot on my patio in a large pot and it gets about 8 hrs. of sun a day. So I can't figure out why I'm not getting mature fruit?

Do I have the wrong expectations to get mature fruit so soon?

Thanks experts...this is my first fig tree :)

HOH Gal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vancouver Fig and little rocks :)

The Vancouver Fig may actually be "Brunswick". If my assumption is right, you would be better off to get the correct variant that delivers. Brunswick in my zone B.Columbia is not reliable. My 5 yr Brunswick is going away soon. I am not sure where Zone 7 you are in PNW. If you are in Seattle, go for variants like Desert King and Latarrula.

o

Stella fig comes from the area. Try that one.

o

Stella fig is a late ripening fig. Its a good fig but last year the cold set in too early in Oct. Hence no chance of even sampling one. My friend's Stella did not performed as it did the previous year. Other variants that ripen for me in Oct were Hollier, Slocan, Hardy Chicago, Dark Portuguese & Marseillies VS but none came close to the abundance of DK and Latarulla.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here