Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendesert_gw

Looking for a good source to buy some fig trees around Austin/SA

greendesert
14 years ago

I have family near San Antonio and would like to send them a gift through another family member that lives in the area, but I'm not at all familiar with nurseries or fig growers around there.

Could anyone recommend a place that would have some decent fig trees? What are the best varieties for that area?

Thanks. I'm in Arizona and the climate here is quite different.

Comments (9)

• mountainman0826
    14 years ago

Fanick's Nursery in San Antonio, Texas is a nursery that has a good selection of figs. Following is the url to their website.

http://www.fanicknursery.com/FruitsAndNuts.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Fanick's Nursery

• greendesert
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks mountainman, I thought I had looked at their website but I missed the page with their selection of fruit trees. Thanks for the link. Now I'm trying to figure out what would be the two best figs for that area. I'm pretty sure one of them will be a black mission fig, although I don't know what the difference is between that one and Blackjack. And the other one might be Brown Turkey or Texas everbearing or one of the other ones. any suggestions?

• rafed
    13 years ago

greendesert,

I visited Fanicks nursery a couple of weeks ago.
    They knew I was coming because I called them and asked them if there was room for a semi truck. Was a little tight but I made it through.

I picked up a couple of Jujube trees from them and a Loquat tree.

They have a few fig variants, A nice citrus selection along with a large fruit tree inventory.

The fragrance from the flowers was filling the air. It is a nice place to visit and the next time I visit them I will drive away with much more plants.

In my opinion, The prices are not great or bad. They are average if not better than average.

Good luck,

Rafed

• mountainman0826
    13 years ago

Mission is a good fig for the area, although the tree does grow very large unless it is aggressively pruned. My other choices for you from Fanick's selections would be Celeste (based on taste and reliability) and Kadota. You wouldn't go wrong with Blue Giant, either. Blackjack is probably not the best choice. According to some, one variety called Blackjack is a semi-dwarf variety of California Brown Turkey. It is not particularly hardy and only average in taste. Brown Turkey (Eastern or English Brown Turkey, not California Brown Turkey) is fairly hardy, but not as tasty as Mission, Celeste or Kadota, in my opinion.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Agree with mountainman, stay away from California Brown Turkey (AKA.....some Black Jack and Black Spanish strains).

Rafed,

A couple of years ago, I ate at a Chinese buffet where peeled loquats were served for dessert. They were large in size about the size of billiard balls and were very sweet/tasty. After many attempts, I was finally able to track down the type and source of the loquats that they had on the menu. The fruit came from a farm in Florida and the initial trees came out of California. The variety name is BIG JIM. They are very large and quite good.

Dan

• rafed
    13 years ago

Dan,

Thank you very much for that info. I will start looking for one now.
    I love Loquats!

Rafed

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Rafed,

If you love Loqats, then the BIG JIM variety is surely one for you. Turns out that the BIG JIM variety was introduced by one of Jon Verdic's (figs4fun owner and moderator) local friends. Several years ago Jon was going to try to get BIG JIM cuttings for me in a fig cutting trade.....but, for some reason that never materialized. Let me know if you ever find a reliable (grafted?) source for one. They can be cloned from cuttings.

Dan

• rafed
    13 years ago

Dan,

I found a couple of sources and will order one.
    You have my word you will be the first one I reserve cuttings to. And I think you might already know I come through with my word.

First we will see how big it is to determine how or how soon we do the cutting.

I will keep you posted in the future private.

Rafed

• Ameir Jamli
    8 years ago

Dear mountainman0826,

I live in Malaysia and have a friend working in Austin, TX. I would love to grow fig trees on my own here in Malaysia. If you could assist me with the subject l would be much appreciated to bring some of the figs cuttings through my friend. Thank you. Ameir Jamli. +601110836295

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations