Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a good source to buy some fig trees around Austin/SA

Posted by greendesert Peoria, AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 13:48

I have family near San Antonio and would like to send them a gift through another family member that lives in the area, but I'm not at all familiar with nurseries or fig growers around there.
Could anyone recommend a place that would have some decent fig trees? What are the best varieties for that area?
Thanks. I'm in Arizona and the climate here is quite different.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a good source to buy some fig trees around Austin

Fanick's Nursery in San Antonio, Texas is a nursery that has a good selection of figs. Following is the url to their website.

http://www.fanicknursery.com/FruitsAndNuts.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Fanick's Nursery

o

Thanks mountainman, I thought I had looked at their website but I missed the page with their selection of fruit trees. Thanks for the link. Now I'm trying to figure out what would be the two best figs for that area. I'm pretty sure one of them will be a black mission fig, although I don't know what the difference is between that one and Blackjack. And the other one might be Brown Turkey or Texas everbearing or one of the other ones. any suggestions?

o

greendesert,

I visited Fanicks nursery a couple of weeks ago.
They knew I was coming because I called them and asked them if there was room for a semi truck. Was a little tight but I made it through.

I picked up a couple of Jujube trees from them and a Loquat tree.

They have a few fig variants, A nice citrus selection along with a large fruit tree inventory.

The fragrance from the flowers was filling the air. It is a nice place to visit and the next time I visit them I will drive away with much more plants.

In my opinion, The prices are not great or bad. They are average if not better than average.

Good luck,

Rafed

o

Mission is a good fig for the area, although the tree does grow very large unless it is aggressively pruned. My other choices for you from Fanick's selections would be Celeste (based on taste and reliability) and Kadota. You wouldn't go wrong with Blue Giant, either. Blackjack is probably not the best choice. According to some, one variety called Blackjack is a semi-dwarf variety of California Brown Turkey. It is not particularly hardy and only average in taste. Brown Turkey (Eastern or English Brown Turkey, not California Brown Turkey) is fairly hardy, but not as tasty as Mission, Celeste or Kadota, in my opinion.

o

Agree with mountainman, stay away from California Brown Turkey (AKA.....some Black Jack and Black Spanish strains).

Rafed,

A couple of years ago, I ate at a Chinese buffet where peeled loquats were served for dessert. They were large in size about the size of billiard balls and were very sweet/tasty. After many attempts, I was finally able to track down the type and source of the loquats that they had on the menu. The fruit came from a farm in Florida and the initial trees came out of California. The variety name is BIG JIM. They are very large and quite good.

Dan

o

Dan,

Thank you very much for that info. I will start looking for one now.
I love Loquats!

Rafed

o

Rafed,

If you love Loqats, then the BIG JIM variety is surely one for you. Turns out that the BIG JIM variety was introduced by one of Jon Verdic's (figs4fun owner and moderator) local friends. Several years ago Jon was going to try to get BIG JIM cuttings for me in a fig cutting trade.....but, for some reason that never materialized. Let me know if you ever find a reliable (grafted?) source for one. They can be cloned from cuttings.

Dan

o

Dan,

I found a couple of sources and will order one.
You have my word you will be the first one I reserve cuttings to. And I think you might already know I come through with my word.

First we will see how big it is to determine how or how soon we do the cutting.

I will keep you posted in the future private.

Rafed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here