Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrock430

Bag rooting Fig Cuttings

adrock430
13 years ago

Hi,

I've been using the bag method for rooting fig cuttings, and the cuttings have developed roots (!) Most of the roots are pretty short (0.5mm) and not closely spaced. At what length and root density should I pot them on? I see some of my longer roots (2mm) browning.

I made a mix of 2/3 perlite, some sand, and some potting soil as the rooting medium, in a 4" pot.

Comments (8)

• david126
    13 years ago

I have had good results with the initial stages of rooting, but have had bad results with handling/transplanting/hardening off newly rooted plants. It is very disappointing to lose a plant that looked healthy and was rooting well. I started my cuttings in plastic bags. I was thinking of keeping my cuttings in the plastic bags for the entire growing season, adding moist paper towels with heavily diluted macro & micro nutrient fertilizer and keeping them indoors out of direct sunlight. I wonder if the browning of the roots might be normal, as roots tend to brown as they mature. I have used well drained peat-perlite (over 70% perlite) mix in the past and have still had difficulties. I caution that I have never before tried the "moist paper towel in a plastic bag" method for a whole season.

• ottawan_z5a
    13 years ago

David
    In my opinion, you need a separate thread so Adroc question does not get shuffled out.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I have Cuttings rooted one filled the cup (Moss and Perlite) with white roots. I planted it, it is doing great. Some cuttings has the roots turned brown I don't know why? may be they died. It seems to me that way because the leaves look bad too. I am not going to bother planting them now until I see what will happen.

• tmc2009
    13 years ago

Hi, I read that as the root matures it does change to a brownish color. I would think that if the roots are dieing you will quickly see the growth being affected too. I use perlite and vermiculite. I had a nice strong growing Atreano cutting last year that died when I put it into soil. I think the soil was too heavy and rotted the cutting. I hope this years cutting makes it. I recently tried my hand at making a youtube video on how I root my cuttings.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Youtube video on rooting cuttings.

• adrock430
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your responses everyone. My question is, at what point do you pot on the cuttings. They've rooted to a certain extent, some roots longer than others, some brown, most white. Should I put them in a perlite mix now?

• FO876
    13 years ago

I usually wait til I have at least a few 1/4" long roots forming, however, I have had some success with potting them up sooner than that in vermiculite.

If I may add a question on the topic, what do y'all do when you encounter actual fig growth in your rooting medium?

I've gotten a few and I'm thinking of knocking them off but wanted some advise first???

• budbackeast
    13 years ago

I had a white fig of unknown variety taken by cutting in February. I put it in a jar of water for 3 weeks. It developed a fig. I potted it once it had the white root bumps. It is now growing madly and still has that fig, which is about half of full size now. If it hangs on for 2 months, I'm gonna up and eat that fig.

• tmc2009
    12 years ago

I moved my videos to a more descriptive username about NewEnglandgardening.

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube video of fig tree cuttings propagation

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery