Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie fig grafting qs

Posted by lycheeluva 6/7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 11 at 14:25

I have been grafting apples and plums for 3 years now with a high degree of success using cleft grafting. I like to use cleft grafting as I find it is the easiest way to graft.
I have a 4 year old petit Negron tree and I would like to graft additional fig varieties onto it. The reason for doing so is that I would like to have additional fig varities in my yard but don�t have room for another fig tree(s). I�m writing this post as I know nothing about grafting with fig trees.
A friend gave me a piece of fig scion wood which was collected during dormancy. I cleft grafted it onto my fig tree in early April (I am in zone 6/7). When I shaved the scion wood down to form the narrowed end, I saw that unlike apple and stone fruit scions which are basically solid throughout the cross-section, the fig scion wood had a white pithy substance in the interior of the cross-section. I went ahead and did the cleft graft anyway and time will tell if it has worked. In the meantime, perhaps someone could give me some pointers. Is it ok to use fig scion wood that has a white pithy interior? Can one cleft graft figs in the same way as one cleft grafts apples? Are there any grafting rules particular to figs I should be aware of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie fig grafting qs

I know only air layer grating I used it for grapes and Apple to creat a new variety on the same tree or to save a branch I was going to cut any way and creat a new tree I did it with good sucess. I don't know if you can do the same with Figs. In Figs we root cuttings. It is a very famous way to create a fig tree. I did quiet some this way. Some fruit trees like Mango has to be grafted or you get lousy tasting fruit.

o

I know only air layer grating I used it for grapes and Apple to creat a new variety on the same tree or to save a branch I was going to cut any way and creat a new tree I did it with good sucess. I don't know if you can do the same with Figs. In Figs we root cuttings. It is a very famous way to create a fig tree. I did quiet some this way. Some fruit trees like Mango has to be grafted or you get lousy tasting fruit.

o

LL, I have tried grafting figs with dormant cuttings and it always failed. The only reliable method I have heard of is budding figs in summer with fresh (not dormant) budwood. Its too bad there is no easier method, I have a bunch of big 7-year figs I would love to put more varieties on but its hard to round up budwood.

Scott

o

thanks scott- when would you say is the earliest i can try and bud graft my fig tree? I am in NYC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here