Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

newbie fig grafting qs

lycheeluva
12 years ago

I have been grafting apples and plums for 3 years now with a high degree of success using cleft grafting. I like to use cleft grafting as I find it is the easiest way to graft.

I have a 4 year old petit Negron tree and I would like to graft additional fig varieties onto it. The reason for doing so is that I would like to have additional fig varities in my yard but don�t have room for another fig tree(s). I�m writing this post as I know nothing about grafting with fig trees.

A friend gave me a piece of fig scion wood which was collected during dormancy. I cleft grafted it onto my fig tree in early April (I am in zone 6/7). When I shaved the scion wood down to form the narrowed end, I saw that unlike apple and stone fruit scions which are basically solid throughout the cross-section, the fig scion wood had a white pithy substance in the interior of the cross-section. I went ahead and did the cleft graft anyway and time will tell if it has worked. In the meantime, perhaps someone could give me some pointers. Is it ok to use fig scion wood that has a white pithy interior? Can one cleft graft figs in the same way as one cleft grafts apples? Are there any grafting rules particular to figs I should be aware of?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio