Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Repotting big plants?

alison
13 years ago

Several weeks ago, while my fig trees were slumming on the third floor, my Siamese got trapped on that floor for the day. Resourceful guy that he is, he used the pots as a litter box. (Better that than the carpet!)

I've since brought the figss down to the second floor sunporch, part of their migration dopwn to the front porch outside. But the cats seem -- overly interested in the pots, and I've had to put foil around the soil.

I'm concerned when I put the trees outside that the feral cats in the neighborhood will also feel the need to mark the trees, so I'm thinking of repotting the plants and flushing the soil.

Any tips on repotting big plants like this? And while I'm at it, should I put them in larger pots? FWIW they are 3-4 year old Celeste figs.

{{gwi:769978}}

Comments (8)

• bjs496
    13 years ago

Instead of repotting now, put the container into a larger container and flood. Repeat a few times to dilute the urine. Put the tree in a cage to keep the other cats away then repot while the tree is dormant. At the end of this year, the tree should be ready for a 10-15 gallon container.

~james

• alison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds good!! (And gives me the ssummer to find a nice pair of pots I can afford!)

• sprouts_honor
    13 years ago

Last season, the neighbors cats were marking their territory on my fig containers. A friend told me at Easter to put moth balls on the soil and insisted a cat won't come within several feet of them. I hope it works. I too would like to repot because of the smell. Ordered two Smart Pots and am wondering if I should wait until I harvest brebas that are about an inch+ in diameter.
    Jennifer

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi alison,
    i see where you typed about finding pots you can afford.
    You may or may not be able to strike a deal with a nearby nursery as some recycle the pots that they grow larger plants and or trees in or have extra's they dont use who knows.
    The ones by me in illinois just wont part with them ive tried.
    Martin

• alison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good idea! I just need to find a way to pretty them up -- the figs spend the summer on the railing of my front porch, so I like them to look nice.

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

Check the big box stores too.

I scored 30 pots at Lowes a couple of months ago. They had thrown away a bunch of dying plants and there were at least 50 plastic two gallon pots in a shallow dumpster right outside of the garden center. They said I could have them. I washed them out with a bleach solution, let them dry in the sun for a couple of days, and they were good to go.

• jmsimpson9
    13 years ago

We put rocks of various sizes in the pots. The cats couldnt scratch the soil up and the various sized ones allowed lots of air movement.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Around January one of my local nurseries re-pots a bunch of their 15 gallon trees into 24" tree pots. Suddenly a lot their better 15 gallon trees that sell for $ 29.95 are in bigger containers and are sold for $ 199.95. I try to buy the biggest and nicest 15 gallon trees from them in November-December. Anyways they have a bunch of the really nice thick and sturdy 15 gallon tree pots left over every January. As a regular customer they sell them to me at $ 1.00 each until they are gone which is a real steal. They tend to sell out fast though. I think most nurseries do the same thing though the timing may be different.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm