Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daynaoconnell

Fig Tree - dead or alive?

daynaoconnell
16 years ago

Hi

I read the previous forum regarding how to tell if a tree is dead, but I still can't tell. This winter all of the leaves of my Brown Turkey Fig tree dropped off and still haven't budded. It's early April and it seems as though it should have by now. When I cut into the bark it's green inside on every part of the tree. I just planted this tree last summer. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• gorgi
    16 years ago

> When I cut into the bark it's green inside on every
    > part of the tree.
    You got it! This means that it is alive and not warm enough
    for it to break buds, yet.

• stevec
    16 years ago

Where in MD do you live? I live just outside of DC & my outdoor figs have not yet broke dormacy. My figs that overwintered in the garage are just now breaking.

-Steve

• wild_forager
    16 years ago

It's definately too early for it to break dormancy in MD. Mine are just starting to bud but that's because they were overwintering in buried containers and I brought them inside for a week.

• daynaoconnell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

to steve:
    i'm in baltimore, maryland. no buds yet. tree looks very dead, but i'm holding out hope that it will break :)

thanks to everyone who replied!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

West of DC, in Northern VA. My fig has green buds just beginning to enlarge. Looks like it made it with NO DIEBACK this winter! Yeahhh! I just planted it last summer too. Hoping for a good fig crop this summer.

• FO876
    16 years ago

I just uncovered two of mine today and Im happy to say they survived!!! Happy happy joy joy! :)

• daynaoconnell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Help again! I was inspecting my beloved tree today and I noticed there was a shoot coming out of the soil near the trunk of the tree, but it is dead. I'm nervous the tree is dead/dying. Is it possible that it's just not warm enough outside yet? I'm new to fig-growing (but not to fig-eating/baking/cooking)...Thanks!

• gorgi
    16 years ago

It is called a 'sucker'; one 'magic' way figs manage
    to survive! Probably tree was not well protected for
    winter. As for the sucker, it grew on it's own
    schedule; just pray for NO late frost. Watch weather
    forecasts, and protect by some sort of night covering,
    e.g., plastic, and ...

• stevec
    16 years ago

As this was your tree's first winter it is possible you lost the top ... very common for a young tree in your area (especially if it was not protected) ... you didn't mention if you covered it. The good thing is that it is hard to kill the roots and you should have a tree again.

Many people in our area manage figs this way ... let them come up from the roots each year and pray for a late frost (to harvest a late fall crop.)

Don't give up on the tops yet though ... I live about 20 miles from Balt and my Brown Turkey is still fast asleep ... no movement yet.

-Steve

• melahz
    14 years ago

i live in norther nj area. i bought a fig tree about a month ago, and planted the same day. However, til date no growth or budding. its a texas everbearing...is it dead? and also it gets about 6 hours of sunlight now. Should I move it? as my backyard is shaded....also when i scrape it its green....what should i do? should i wait? this is my first time planting a fig tree.

• dbrugaletta_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

You guys seem to know a lot about fig tree's....

So I have a question. I live in Toronto, Canada and I was given a fig tree last fall, which I kept in a garage all winter. I moved my tree outdoors at the beginning of May. It is now June 2nd, and there are no leaves. At the end of each branch is a single green bud. Nothing else. Everyone elses tree has leaves and many figs. Not mine.

What is wrong with my tree? Please help. Its a big tree and I really want to taste these figs.

Thanks.

• PopsTree
    10 years ago

Just looking at everyone's posts about dead/dying trees. My dad had several fig trees that he cared for and did a great job. Since he passed away I have slowly dwindled his crop. I have. One potted one left. It's fairly tall - 7ft or so. It had leaves a few weeks ago but the pot flooded (I moved and it was in line with a sprinkler). All the leaves fell off and most of the branches got very dark. I cut off some of them by the trunk. I was just wondering even if this year I don't get any other growth is their a chance that next year I might? We are moving to NC (from NY) by the end of the year so I can't plant it in the ground until then. Thanks in advance.

• PopsTree
    10 years ago

Just looking at everyone's posts about dead/dying trees. My dad had several fig trees that he cared for and did a great job. Since he passed away I have slowly dwindled his crop. I have. One potted one left. It's fairly tall - 7ft or so. It had leaves a few weeks ago but the pot flooded (I moved and it was in line with a sprinkler). All the leaves fell off and most of the branches got very dark. I cut off some of them by the trunk. I was just wondering even if this year I don't get any other growth is their a chance that next year I might? We are moving to NC (from NY) by the end of the year so I can't plant it in the ground until then. Thanks in advance.

• fignewbies
    10 years ago

Hi,

PopsTree:
    I'm afraid your fig tree is gone for good because fig trees cannot tolerate standing water!
    But before throwing the tree away, herman2 is one fig expert you can ask!

Daniel(dbrugaletta@yahoo.com):
    Did you get to taste your fig afterall?

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery