Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wintertime for fig

Posted by bryantheitalianboy 6b/7a- PA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 15:23

If I don't protect my fig tree. Will it die or survive the winter season? How old will it survive without protect at least around 10 degree? My fig is black mission.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wintertime for fig

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 23:24

My opinion is that in you're zone BM is going to be very tough to grow in the ground unless you have it in a great spot (micro climate). BM grows like mad in a pot if that is possible.

o

What part of Pennsylvania do you live in?
I agree with Ed Black Mission is not the best variety to grow in ground in our climate.

Bass

o

In ground Black Mission trees can be tender even in my zone 9 climate. The fig trees in my yard are susceptible to early spring frosts and light freezes. Often early warm fronts cause fig trees to break dormancy way too soon. The cold/warm cycling fronts that move through our area in some years, can damage and kill a tender tree quiet easily. Several years ago a friend of mine lost his large BM fig tree to these hot/cold cycling temperatures.

Based on the fig tree growing observations made by Herman2, I have allowed my BM tree to grow in bush form.....for better winter survival and insurance. Also, to make it easier to pick the figs in the future as the tree gets larger. This year I had very little damage to my Black Mission as compared to earlier years when I insisted that it grow in TREE FORM. There was very little damage in spite of it being a much colder winter than usual in my area.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here