Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtguy50

Fig leaves curing and discoloration - HELP

This new fig tree was planted about two weeks ago in a 20" pot. The mix is Dr Earths Garden Mix, as recommended by the nursery. I have searched but cannot identify what might be wrong. Can anyone give so advise as to what to look for or what to do. Thanks so much!

Comments (3)

• hoosierbanana
    9 years ago

That is either a nutrient problem caused by too much of one thing blocking another, a ph problem, or a water/aeration problem. All of those things point to the mix being the culprit.

How big was the container you bought the tree in? How often have you watered since potting? Is the mix called homegrown vegetable garden mix?

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi hoosierbanana. Yes it is the homegrown mix. The tree is from Stark Brothers and came in their 4 x 4 x10" pot. I went back to the nursery and spoke with a lady I usually deal with (she wasn't there the day I got the tree), and showed her the pics and told her the mix was recommended for a container. She immediately said to get it out of the pot as it is drowning. She said to use half the Dr Earths and add an equal amount of MG organic potting mix, perlite and repot. Then to add some garden lime on top, mulch and lightly water. When I took the tree out, it was saturated and definitely not draining. What are your thoughts and thanks for the response.

This post was edited by dirtguy50 on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 10:47

• hoosierbanana
    9 years ago

I think you should add about 30% perlite to make the mix breathe better and hold a little less moisture, and pot it back into a smaller container like say a 3 gallon to start. It should recover and be ready for the 7 gallon by mid summer.

Lime is probably a good idea later in the season but check the ph of the potting mix before you add any, it is probably in there already.

If the mix you removed smells bad toss it into the garden or compost, when mixes stay wet they can turn acidic.

Good luck and stop back if you have any more trouble.

Sponsored
Fairfax Floors, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Fairfax County's Customer-Preferred Flooring Professionals