Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allyn24

Beginning Fig grower

allyn24
10 years ago

I have a 3 year old Chicago Fig and last season got about 5 ripe figs and a lot of leaf growth (huge leaves). There are so many posts about pinching that are really confusing mainly because of the terminology used. Is there a Pinching for dummies forum? (LOL) or a Primer on how to pinch, when to pinch maybe with photo's. Everyone here seems so advanced and I need the basics so I can get a better crop this year sooner.

Right now I keep the 5 foot tall tree indoors and it grew all new growth over the winter and about 6 or 7 figs. I know when I put it outdoors it might lose all of those leaves and the figs will most likely drop, that's what it did last winter/Spring. Help needed at the beginner level. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• Charlie
    10 years ago

This is from a "Herman2" post:

"Count up 6 leaves on the new branch and pinch off the tip!!!.That is the answer. Also you people do not have to understand that if you do not pinch you are not going to have fruits. In your case you will have fruits on new growth if you pinch or not,if you wait long enough. Pinching is done to limit the number of fruits per branch and to speed up the growing of fruits. Pinching is usefull in short growing season like up north and other cold climates. Pinching also makes the remaining fruits to grow larger and better tasting. Pinching makes the tree mature a smaller calculated number of fruits in cold climates where otherwise,if left alone a lot of fruits. Very large numbers will grow to normal green size but will not mature till the winter come. Keep in mind i am not a college educated Horticultor. All these opinion are mine and i got them from experience, and i practiced them and they work. I was introduced to Pinching a few years ago be a site from New Zeeland Called: The incredible edible fig."

I am glad you asked about this, because I am going to try it with my brown turkey and celeste fig trees which always have a lot of figs, but never mature befor winter in Northern Virginia.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

Good info charlieboring. Tks.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    10 years ago

Sometimes the word "pinching" can be confusing to new growers. Try to also keep in mind the word "trim" when reading about this subject.

There will be times when the new growth on a fig tree has extended way beyond the 6 leaf limit. Let's say for example, that you let twelve leaves grow, and the green branches have now become more woody. You will not be able to "pinch" back this new growth to 6 leaves, but you can trim the growth back with a pruning shears.

When you get used to the idea of controlling, and limiting the extent of all the new growth on your fig trees, you will start to "pinch out" all new terminal buds after the 6 leaves have grown on each fig-producing branches. The idea, as stated is to divert all the tree's energy into earlier ripening of the figs that have already formed. This technique is used by most cool-climate, short-season fig growers.

There are many postings on this forum and on the Figs4Fun forum that show pinching techniques. It is NOT hard to do, and it only take a few minutes to pinch out, or, trim away unwanted, and extra vegetation from your fig trees.

Fig growers in long-seasons, warm-climates will not have to be bothered or worried about this growth-control practice. Those in Zones 5-7 need to think about it.

Hope this helps, too.

Frank

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

It is very helpful Frank. Thanks for the information.

• jerryang
    9 years ago

Pinching question...Have a brown turkey in ground. It started new shoots from the bottom. They are now about 18" talk and have about 5 leaves on them. If I pinch the tree will only be 18" talk...is this correct or am I missing something?