Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification help, question and pics

Posted by ladygabe NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 16:43

Hello! I posted this on two other threads but they were older so Im not sure if anyone that could help me, saw them.

First I am linking to Flickr. I don't have photo-bucket so I hope you can all see the pics even tho they will not paste right here.

I uploaded pics of the Fig I had come out of dormancy in my attic. I have pics from when I first found it a few weeks ago, and now.

I have a couple of pics that someone asked for of my cheap Kadota I got for $9.98 at lowes as well.

Last year I bought my Mother a peters honey. We think maybe a squirrel ate it right to the ground (in its pot). I have a picture of what is now growing out of the pot. The leaves almost resemble parsley to me. Any chance another can tell me if this is in fact the resurrected Peters Honey??

Finally my Italian Everbearing and Black Jack are close to 3 feet tall but I do not know how old, any chance they will bear this year?

IF anyone has pics of a fig just as its being "born" lol, just a tiny nub, I would love to see. I'm keeping a close eye on them but do not know what to look for. I'm so excited to actually have fruit this year, yet trying not to get my hopes up!

TIA!!http://www.flickr.com/photos/88361884@N00/sets/72157623807320092/

Here is a link that might be useful: fig fun

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification help, question and pics

The unknown tree you got growing is a mulberry.
Here's some photos of brebas on one of my figs Lebanese Red. The main crop appears after a few leaves had developed.
I hope this helps.
Bass

o
red lebanese brebas

Bass

o

Mulberry? Like the bush? Like little long blackberrish berries? What they heck?! How did that get in my fig pot!? Or is there a such thing as a mulberry fig? Crap, Im irritated. Where is my Peters honey!!?

Thanks for the pics Bass. I have my fingers crossed and will be looking out for those little nubs!

o

Oh, and when you say "The main crop appears after a few leaves had developed" is this with all figs? Or just that particular type? If I get no sign of them at that point, does this mean Im out of luck until maybe next year?

~M

o

This is for all figs.
I would repot these figs into a larger container with a good potting soil. You can find different recipes for a soil mix on this forum. I would also add a slow release fertilizer. Most likely you will get figs this year.

Bass

o

Look its miracle!!! Figs growing on a mulberry tree!!!lol

o

Bass, I have(7gallon) pots ready and plan on doing that this week. When I add soil should I mix the fertilizer thoroughly then repot? Or add it just to the top layer? As far as good soil goes, I have organic miracle grow for fruits/veggies that I already have handy. Is this ok, or not good for figs?
Thanks so much for all your advice and help!

o

You can mix the fertilizer with the soil, or at least apply to the top 2". There's a whole thread on fertilizer for fig tree. What I use is 18-6-12, and it works great.

Bass

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees of joy

o

All done! Ill post any progress in a month :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here