Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budbackeast

Greek Fig Trees

budbackeast
13 years ago

I live near Tarpon Springs, FL, a Greek community. Some of my Greek customers have allowed me to take cuttings from their fig trees. I have no idea what varieties these are, but two of my healthy potted trees are white and two are black. All are from Greek original imported trees, or so I am told.

Anybody know what they might be? I add a link to a photo of them (don't know how to insert a photo).

Additionally, the white fig tree has these very thick stems and branches. Very beefy tree. In the photo, a white fig cutting already has a fig on it. Very encouraging.

But I would love to know what I have here. What varieties come from Greece?

Here is a link that might be useful: Four figs from cuttings

Comments (11)

• george_k
    13 years ago

There are quite a few variety of figs in Greece. The main fig germplasm is in Kalamata, over 60 varieties.

There are some smynra figs in Greece, that require caprification with the fig wasp. But I believe the figs you have are common figs, thus does not require pollination.

The popular ones in Greece, are the Vasilika white and black.

Both are large figs that have blood red centres.

George

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Vasilika is a fig that I always wanted to add to my collection,but never had any luck getting cuttings of
    this Greek fig.Ciao,Giuseppe

• paully22
    13 years ago

alb419 - May have good news. Checked back with me in Oct. My tree was cut back for cuttings and air layered for friends last season. I would be re-potting it tomorrow and would boost it.

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Paul,
    thank you so much,will try to email you soon. Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• budbackeast
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Greek figs, both black and white, are growing vigorously. In a year, I will be willing to take cuttings and mail then to anybody who wants them. The white variety has really thick stems and comes from a huge tree here in Florida. tall as a house and just as wide. I have great hopes and am willing to share once the trees get big enough. Keep my email and wait a year, Giuseppe.
    (budbackeast@aol.com)

Will try to get a pic of the monster white fig tree...

BTW: How to insert a pic in these forums. Anybody help?

• debsparadigm_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I WOULD LOVE A COUPLE OF CLIPPINGS FOR THE GREEK FIGS!! THEY WERE HEAVENLY WHEN WE LIVED THERE IN THE PELOPONESES WHERE I RAISED MY KIDS! LOVELY MEMORIES!
    CONTACT ME.
    DEB

• loslunasfarms
    12 years ago

Alb,

I might be able to help you also. Contact me in the fall.

• alb419_ny
    12 years ago

Paul and Jose`,
    Thank you so much for your offer.Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• igo4fish
    12 years ago

Here's how to embed photos in a post from Photobucket. Once your picture has been uploaded,the appropriate HTML code will be the one in the "DIRECT LINK" box.

Let's say, as an example, that the address of the picture you want to post is http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg

Hope it helps!

To embed the picture into a post, copy the code by clicking in the "DIRECT LINK" box. It will be copied automatically. Next, return to the GardenWeb "Post a Follow-up" message box and:
    1. type the command 2. Right click on your mouse and paste the copied link next to the open quotation mark like this 3. Close the command with ">
    4. For additional embeds, press the "ENTER" key and repeat.

• Rosie Stone
    8 years ago

I have a fig that was given to my daughter a number of years ago. She was dating a guy whose family came from Sparta,Greece. The original plant came form there. As best I can tell this is a Brunswick. I based this on the leaf. I leave in South Carolina. We have frost here before very many of the fruits ripen. Any thoughts or comments?

• boppyh2914
    7 years ago

We have tapped into a Greek community of 3 varieties of Greek Figs & need to know what varieties they are amd also see pictures of them. Is there anyway you could get back with us with some information?