Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? for Al T.

Posted by briana_2006 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 17:22

Hi Al -
Hope you are having a good day.

I forgot to show a pic of the pine bark fines I found (see below).

Would I need to screen these before use or can I use them as is?

The strainer I have has openings ~ 1 mm (~ 1/32 inch) not the ideal 1/8 inch (3 mm).

If I need to filter out the small particles I will have to see if I can find larger screen options at Lowes

Also, if the turface needs to be screened before use would the strainer I have work or do I need something larger (1/8 inch)?

Thanks
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? for Al T.

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 12:42

Having a great day - thanks. ;o) Just taking a break from repotting.

The mulch has a rather large particle size for use in soils, so I would screen it or run it over with a bagging/mulching mower to reduce the size. I'm afraid that if you use it as is, You'll have too much difficulty keeping up with the watering. Dust - 3/8 is ok for the 5:1:1 mix, and 1/8-3/8 is best for the gritty mix.

I use 10-12 mesh (insect screen) for screening the Turface and finer particulates from bark, granite, and Turface.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here