Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildforager

Texas Red Fig

wildforager
13 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of "Texas Red"? I'm currently on the road and I'm at the Ozark Folk Center in Mtn. View, AR. They have 2 figs growing here and one of them they're calling Texas Red. I'm told that its a very large reddish fig. I got some cutings so I guess I'll find out more eventually. Currently the fig trees here have not been leafing out much so leaf ID is out. Hope to hear more from those here or any of you.

Thanks,

Little John

Comments (14)

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

Most likely it's an unknown fig that they got from Texas. Your best bet is to grow it until it bears before deciding what variety it would be, who knows it may end up being a Brown turkey or a celeste.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

There are not very many true "RED" figs in the fig world. They seem to be rare. Of all of the many "selections" that were made during Dr. Rourke's fig breeding program at LSU....only one cultivar was a true red fig. It is rather small in size like its mother and appears to be a mid-season fig in my area.

Dan

• dieseler
    13 years ago

My friend brought back scion from Italy years back and i rooted it. After 4 years of seeing the figs turn red and drop i decided to destroy the tree and sent out some scion from it out west where the fig wasp and or much better weather may or may not do it some good as i had 1 total ripe fig in 4 years they would turn red and drop the one that did ripen turned red then dark and was sweet.
    {{gwi:771134}}
    Martin

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

I got a Lebanese Red..

Bass

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Looks just like the LSU Rouge (Red) fig.

Dan

• mrhappy
    13 years ago

That Lebanese Red is a good looking fig. What is the taste like?

• wildforager
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bass was right in the second post. After I asked about the Texas Red I was told that it came from a woman in TX and bears red figs. I guess time will tell.

-Little John

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

The lebanese Red is very tasty actually. The tree is loaded with a breba crop currently. I hope to take some pictures before I pick them. It bears two crops.

Bass

• paully22
    13 years ago

ROSETTA is a red fig from Germany.

• espressogeek
    13 years ago

I don't want to side track this thread but does anyone know where I can pick up a lebonese red from? I saw one sell on ebay for a small fortune a few weeks ago but the seller, which I believe is on this forum, has not listed anymore.

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

Sorry, I sold out of the Lebanese red, Except for one small tree, I'll be listing on ebay in a couple weeks.
    Here's the brebas currently on the Lebanese red.
    {{gwi:771137}}

Bass

• espressogeek
    13 years ago

Hey Bass, that was you huh? I'll keep my eyes peeled for something special for you. I can't buy many more figs as better half doesn't appreciate them as much as I do. :-)

• abcnatur
    13 years ago

The red texas fig has very deeply cut lobed leaves. It usually only has 3 lobes. I have these plants also, but have never been able to find the correct botanical name.

• wildforager
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ABC, do you have any pics of ripe fruit? I'd love to see what they look like.