Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xon2000

Fig Rust

xon2000
17 years ago

Physopella fici

In my collection , this fungus only attack the Brown Turkey, after a rainy period.

All fig-trees were treated with copper in winter.

Comments (6)

• bjs496
    17 years ago

Xon,

I can't see your picture. In Houston, we have very high humidity, so rust is always an issue. It is interesting to me that it affects different varieties differently (or at different times). My Celeste trees are always the first to get hit, but I only lose about half the leaves. The others show signs later in the summer. Some only have a few leaves affected, others completely defoliate. All of them seem to recover.

It is my understanding that copper spray is effective when applied after the first leaves mature and then sprayed at some "ideal" interval during the summer. I used a spray once on Melanzana when it showed signs of rust. I am not sure it really did too much. The leaves which were already spotted when I sprayed fell off anyway, and the new growth was clear of spots.

~james

• xon2000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

James,

I donÂt know because you do not can see the picture.
    At his moment the not translated link is
    http://83.42.79.61/altres_imatges/20070407-M01.jpg

Barcelona has very humidity periods
    I have sprayed the leaves with Metalaxil that I use too for my Medlar tree (Eriobotrya japonica) that always has fungus problems.
    Here , the rust is not usually problem for the majority of figs.
    Now the leaves are worse than before.
    It seems that only fig tree affected has been the Brown Turkey. After this treatment the Rust has stopped their infection.
    One thing is clear each fig tree needs their own climate. The bigger Brown Turkey fig that I seen was in Bruxelles ( Belgium ) , near the canal.

Xon

• florey
    17 years ago

HI, We had good luck last year with cornmeal. In 2005 the fig was very rusted. The leaves got very yellowed, and checkered. It lost most of them early, by Columbus Day.
    Last spring, I threw a handful each of cornstarch, and cornmeal, into a bucket of water. After stirring and waiting 20 minutes, I splashed and drizzled it, over the young leaves and stems. The rest went around the roots. This was just after the pot went out in the spring. This was repeated ~a month later, and once in early September, at the first hint of rust. This time, signs of it were tiny, like the ones in your picture . The year before, the leaves were half gone by then. The 5 rusted leaves yellowed and fell, and the fig kept its healthy, green, leaves until after Thanksgiving, when it was got down to 29. They fell, and we brought it in.
    Control was very good.
    The corn promotes a fungus that outcompetes most other fungi. It prevents germination.

There are several other, similar posts on rust, or other fungus, and cornmeal. Manure works too. An old cowflop under a hollyhock, worked well against rust. Several others nearby were yellow and half dead. It was very lush, and well watered, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: hollyhock rust.

• xon2000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Florey
    When is possible and proved I use, always, the biological or cultural methods to fight against diseases.
    Even when the only affected tree is the Brown Turkey I will try it, because I love this exotic and feeble tree in my environment.
    Today is impossible post another photos to show the status of leaves , because is raining for 3 weeks , only one day with sunshine!.
    Xon.

• xon2000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

About the suggestion posted before.
    Cornmeal is unusual food in my country , time ago was popularized as baby food under "MAIZENA" brand.
    After searching Cornmeal in the web I have found this interesting topic in GW :
    Trichoderma

• florey
    17 years ago

Hi Xon,
    Yes, Maizena would probably work. Ground corn was the only ingredient years ago. If other grains have been added don't use it. Don't you use cornstarch when you make flan? Good luck with your fig, and the weather.
    Hi James, The affected leaves DID fall off, and were soon replaced with healthy leaves. so it sounds like a typical anti rust reaction.
    Corn meal is also good on black spot and mildew. There may be a couple of plants that don't like it. And the fungus, causes damping off. It may also ruin paint [some splashed on the porch]. Good Luck, florey