Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
most cold hardy fig?

Posted by bhawkins 7b, 8a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 07 at 19:20

my first fig, a celeste i planted bare root here in dallas in dec, never grew; i suspect our 12 deg f night in mar didnt help it. so i've ordered another celeste from edible landscapes. but for insurance perhaps i should try another variety as well?

edible has hardy chicago, which a gather is a variant of celeste

just fruits & exotics offers the hunt & ventura as their best cold weaqther figs, though its past their shipping season

ty-ty has the tenessee mountain fig, which i gather is another celeste variant.

adriano's says the hardy chicago & ventura do well in canada; but they only ship to canada.

i'm too lazy to cover my trees during freezes.

so whats the best fig for cold weather? & how do i buy it?

thanks,

bob
dallas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: most cold hardy fig?

"edible has hardy chicago, which a gather is a variant of celeste"

No, these are 2 completely different figs, if you ever see the fruit, you'll agree.

"ty-ty has the tenessee mountain fig, which i gather is another celeste variant."

I would stay as far away from Ty-Ty as you can -- very, very bad reputation.

I'm in a similar zone as you, and have tried several varieties. Yes, there is some variation in cold hardiness, but in general I always expect that a new fig will freeze down to the ground the first 2 - 3 years before becoming established enough to withstand the winter frosts. You can try to get around this by either some system of protection or by keeping it in a pot for a couple years and overwintering in a shed. Generally I just let it freeze and come up from the ground. Though I do try to give the base a bit of protection so to be sure that there are viable buds for it to spring back from. Also, figs in drier soil will be hardier than in damp soil.

o

Gene, how hardy is that "takoma violet" of yours? A friend of mine out here has one but brings it in the garage for the winter. I am considering leaving it in the ground. What do you think?

o

Well, I think I first got that tree in 2001 from a local German lady, and it's been in a large clay pot unprotected ever since. I've never taken it into a shed or anything. I set the pot next to the leaf mulch pile and have never moved it. It's long since sent roots through the bottom. If I ever try to move it, it won't be easy. I haven't kept records of local winter lows, but I'd guess it's been down to 5F since I've had it. I think this past winter it got as low as 13. It's never had any major dieback, perhaps lost a few tips at worst when it was younger. It's a very good fig for looks, flavor, early ripening and cold hardiness. The only downside is that the fruit is small. I'd certainly give it a go outside if I were you. You might want to airlayer a backup to keep in winter storage as insurance, can never be too careful.

o
RE: Takoma Violet

Thought I should add two things which I believe have increased the cold hardiness of this fig: One is that it's in my back yard which is very protected from the wind; two is that since it's always been in a pot and growing through the bottom, it grows very slowly, like an old fig -- this is much better for cold hardiness compared to the rampant growth of normal young figs.

o

wow, you have a lot of figs! guess i'll try another celeste, brown turkey, maybe a h chicago, & see what happens

thanks,

o

Thanks Gene. Hawk, of those 3 I like celeste best. I am not crazy about brown turkey and I havent had much luck with H.C. Over the years I have had 2 chicagos and they have been 2 of the least productive figs I ever grew. I rate them for hardiness about equal but for flavor I go with the celeste

o

thanks for the info! there's so many varieties i'm lost as to what to try.

texas a&m says celeste has the best chance in n. texas. brown turkey does well in central texas, but its not as hardy as celeste & growing it in dallas is problematic. i'll put all my figs within 20 ft of the south wall of my 2-story brick house.

apparently figs that do well on the east coast dont always do well on the left coast, & vice versa. but celeste always seems to do ok. the others, i'll consider an experiment

o

ejp3, what's you're complaint with Brown Turkey?

I'm planning to put figs in my garden (7a piedmont, NC) sometime in the next year, but have not decided which varietues yet.

o

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Wed, May 23, 07 at 8:23

In my opinion Brown Turkey is just not as good tasting as most other figs. But it is still quite edible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here