Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefpix

best variety potted. I grow tropical banyans but no F carica yet

stefpix
11 years ago

Hi

I am a fan of many Banyan Ficus. I have Ficus benghalensis, F. religiosa, F. obtusifolia, and starting from seed F. yucantanensis and rubiginosa.

I woudl like to grow a Ficus carica. There are so many varieties and I wonder what would be the best variety that could grow in a pot and would be possibly fruiting even when small and with least light. I have windows with southern exposure and I place plants outdoors when the winter frost is gone. Also any sources for cuttings?

I see a lot of Fig trees here in Brooklyn NY but rarely fruiting as they are in the shade.

thanks

stefano`

Comments (10)

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Best way to do this: Fig tree growers are a generous bunch. Find a tree in your area and (no kidding) ring the door bell. Tell him of your love of figs and your interest in trying to grow a tree for yourself. Now here's the key... Ask him "where did you buy your tree?" He will probably say it came from a cutting and he will probasbly ask you if you want a cutting from his tree. Tell him yes, offer him cash (which he will refuse) and allow him to cut it himself while asking him about the figs he gets from the tree. Fig guys are all dreamers, braggarts and sharers.

Keep his name and address, as your cutting may not thrive, and you want to be able to try again. And ask him how to properly turn the cutting into a successful tree. If it does well, take a photo and mail it to him in a thank you card. He'll be your friend for life.

Here is a link that might be useful: See one of my trees. I already got fruit! (Florida)

• lycheeluva
    11 years ago

stepfix- I live in brooklyn and have a beautiful fruiting petit negron tree which produces delicious fruit. feel free to come by for as many cuttings as u like. if you prefer, i can even airlayer you a tree. no charge.

• stefpix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lychee luva thanks so much, can you send me an email or a PM?
    we could arrange.
    I could give you some Opuntia ficus indica seedling or Hylocereus (Pithaya) or some Ficus religiosa seedlings. They all need protection in the winter (Hylocereus and Opuntia I left them 3 / 4 months in landing by the rood. shade. never watered and they are fine.

I am off Graham ave in W'burg. where are you? I go all over as I actually shoot for the Brooklyn Paper and I go where ever

stefano

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Stefano....

You will have no problems getting either cuttings, or rooted material for your fig-growing efforts. This forum has some of the most generous, helpful, members that you'll ever find. You will be growing a potted fig tree this season.

Please let us know what size "pot" you have in mind. You may want to search this forum for information on "Containerized Figs". Home Depot sells large capacity storage tubs that are easily converted to a growing container for figs by drilling drainage holes into the bottom. They will get pretty heavy when wet, and I roll my fig trees around on a dolly.

Will this be your first time growing Ficus carica? If you are going to grow edible figs in smaller pots, on your window, then this is a different situation. Overwintering might be a concern, and adequate light levels too. There will be help on this forum for these concerns also.

Give us more details, and let us know what are your goals and plans for your fig tree. A dwarf variety might be better for you than a large-growing, fig.

Hope this helps you decide what to do.

Frank

• stefpix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi
    my idea would be to grow Ficus carica in a pot on a windowsill and possibly in the summer transplant it in a 5 gallon paint bucket. I have seen a fig near me fruiting in a barrel but also I have seen fig trees in the ground at friends' yard that never bear.

I am growing successfully Ficus benghalensis and Ficus religiosa that I started from seed ( I donated a couple to the Brooklyn Botanic garden).

I would like to experiment with Ficus carica. maybe keep one in a small pot like 8 " and keep small by trimming roots and branches. and another put it on the roof in a larger pot.

So I am wondering what varieties stay small (without growing slowly, as I'd rather grow something fast growing and eventually cut back), do not need much of a cooling period/rest, and can deal with lower light in teh winter ( i have a 45 W CFL 250 W equivalent).

Thanks for your help.

I'd rather have a variety that has a name rather than some mystery cutting so I know what I am getting.

If I can get it to bear fruits great, but if not I am fine as well.

• lycheeluva
    11 years ago

Bronx fix- Are you able to mail me a couple of cuttings - I have a petit negron fig tree and I wat to bud some additional varities onto it. I can offer petit negron cuttings and a many other sone fruit and apple varities in excange.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

lycheeluva....

Sorry, but I recently sent dozens of cuttings to a friend in Louisiana for propagation. Maybe someone else could fill your cavity.

Good luck with your quest.

stepfix...

Concentrate on bonsai culture for your F. carica. You will be surprised how this fig responds to training. It will take forever to become a respectable small "tree" in such a small, 8" pot, under less than ideal culture. You are better off planting the specimen in-ground, establishing the basic structure, above and below ground level, then refining your creation. Then plant it into a small container/bonsai pot. It will make figs, but usually fruit is not to scale. Ficus carica has overly large leaves, which will reduce, but not very much unless leaf-pruning techniques are employed. It can be done, but its always a work in progress. It's fun!

Frank

• stefpix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Frank.
    if it grows probably I would put it in a 3 or 5 gallon pot. I have seen photos of happy figs in 5 gallon buckets.
    I would probably put it in larger pots if it grows larger.

I just went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden and I looked at the fig varieties tehy have there. It looked like the cultivars 'Lattarula' and 'MSU' (the first one especially) were developing figs along with the leaves. I saw other varieties like Violet de Bordeaux but the branches were bare.

I wonder if Figs are deciduous in the winter in Southern Florida.

• gorgi
    11 years ago

What does 'MSU' stand for?

• stefpix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It could have been LSU. I deleted the photo. I may stop by the BBG tomorrow.
    Thanks to Lycheeluva for the cuttings!

A couple of twigs that I can turn into 3/4 cuttings.

Anyone has any advice about rooting them? wanted to try one in water ( I add KLN liquid rooting hormone that works well) and in perlite/sphagnum. I started a Ficus obtusifolia (mexican banyan fig) leafless cutting this way. A few weeks in water with KLN until i saw some root knobs popping out and then put it in a pot made out of a clear water bottle with coco chips, sphag, perlite, bark. Now I have 2 branches starting.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company