Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Is dormancy needed?

mandolls
13 years ago

I purchased a fig tree from a cheap online mail order nursery last year. I dont know what kind, they didnt specify. It was 6" tall. I put it in a 6" pot for maybe a month before I realized it needed something bigger. It went into a 10" pot a month later, and then when we brought it in side in the Fall it went into a 14" pot. It has been sitting in a south facing window all winter and growing growing growing! It now has 8 branches all coming from the bottom of the plant, 5 of them about 30 inches in length and many of the leaves are bigger than my hand (and I'm a pretty big guy)

I have just started reading through this forum and see that the usual thing is to put them into a cold dark spot for the winter. Its obviously to late for that.

It seems very healthy, and I am about to move it into a 24"pot.

Do I need to let it go dormant next fall? It seems to love the window that I have it in. And we really enjoy having inside. It helps get us through the long WI winter. Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (22)

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Mandoll
    Dormacy is a must for most trees. So they lose their leaves and conseve their energy. After Dormacy the tree comes back vigrous and productive. You can say Dormacy to trees like hibernation to a bear. I am not an expert in trees but this knowledge comes from reading 3 books and numerous articles. Next year let it go dormant.

• mandolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After I posted this I found a couple of threads discussing dormancy. I will try to let it go next year however I dont know if I will be able to keep it at the right temps. During Wisconsin winters make my garage would be way to cold, and my workroom where I store my Dahlia tubers is probably at least 45 in the coldest spot. But I will give it a try.

I have pics of the tree, should I stake up the central branch and prune off some of the lateral growth?

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz46/mandolls/Fig.jpg

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz46/mandolls/Fig-detail.jpg

• mandolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ooh - I figured out how to direct post the pics

• sam89
    13 years ago

Beautiful plant I love to have one. Mine is so tiny.

• vito12831
    13 years ago

HI Mandolls
    Great looking plant, Do you want to trade cuttings
    Send me a email.
    Vito

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Your tree thinks it is a bush. You can prune the side branches and root the cuttings and have more trees. Who knows may be one day you will have a sign which says Mandolls Orchard.

• mandolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback - it does seem pretty lush for less than a year old doesn't it? Does anyone else have to stake their figs to get them vertical? I dont mind it being bushy at this size but as it gets bigger it may be a problem.

If you look closely at the detail shot, We have just pushed a couple of those low branches under the soil, to see if they would root. They have, so when I repot it this weekend I will cut those off and plant them as separate plants. I dont have much experience rooting from cuttings, but this seems surefire since roots already exist.

Vito - I may be interested in trading cuttings in the future. The ones I make this weekend are already promised to family members. My inlaws had figs in their backyard in Palestine before their town was bulldozed by the israelis. My mother-inlaw started crying when we told her we were bringing her a fig tree.

• sergnic
    13 years ago

I saw your plant, very pretty:
    But I have to say you that avoiding dormancy in Wisconsin (and I think in a heated room) is like going to look for problems.
    The overgrowth, (I think probably a rich nitrogenous fertilizer accomplice) is a safe way to exaust the pot, and this, unless you have a greenhouse 20 feet high and have a container of 400 cubic feet of soil...is negative.
    When you run out as soon of a last reasonableof pot, ...ends the game.
    I've a small fig tree (obtained by seed) in a pot on a terrace (I live in Z9 - Italy) and I hope that do NOT grow, becouse when he filled a 6 cubic feet pot I can no longer keep.

The fig tree strongly loves, (also to make fruits) durations of direct sunlight more than 10 -12 hours for day.
    Are you a good photographer? Try to evaluate what is instrumentally a good "Sunshine Light" in the summer compared with winter in the greenhouse, or in a local "well-lit" in the winter (also with electrical lamps), believe me, there is no comparison, so the wood grows weak, ..as so the leaves.
    If you put the pot outdoors put it in the shade in the first week, You'll avoid burns to sprouts and leaves; know few plants with leathery leaves than those of the fig tree, but those must be very delicate.
    Dormancy for 45 degrees Fahrenheit is perfect, just keep the soil only a bit moist in winter.
    Compliments however for your experiments!

• sergnic
    13 years ago

Now a technical answer. about my knowledge to fig tree.
    I think that the fig tre do NOT need dormancy, even if he has to rest periods when the weather is outside its scope of vegetation, not only for the cold, but also for the hot and dry.

Imagine an oasis in the Sahara.

In particular, when the heat goes above 118-120 degrees F the leaves turn yellow, and fall, stops the grow, and goes in dormancy; the plant returns to full vegetation at 70-80 F ...during the cold season.
    For its part, the fig tree has three fructification per year. In our hemisphere is in late November - December, which of course in many parts, for the cold weather cannot complete maturation.

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

If it doesn't drop below freezing here in the southwest, my trees do not appear to go dormant. They retain their old leaves, which drop off one by one into Spring. Even now, with over a foot of new growth on some trees and several brebas nearing maturity, one or two of last year's leaves remain.

My uneducated opinion is that dormancy is a reaction to harsh conditions...usually extreme cold but, as sergnic has described, also extreme heat, but is not a prerequesete for the tree to produce fruit.

I'm no expert. Just my observations and thoughts.

Dave

• mandolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all for the input and advice. When I make cuttings maybe I will do a test and keep one inside and warm in the winter, and try to chill the other, then see what difference it makes to the health of the trees.

Thanks again

• ejp3
    13 years ago

Figs can and do survive in climates such as Hawaii and Puerto Rico and I don't think they go dormant there, but they do much better in climates where they can go dormant, and I am not saying they need months of dormancy. Mandol, do your test but my money is on the one that gets at least a little rest.

• sergnic
    13 years ago

I've notice of cultivation on Borneo and Malaysia, (in Malaysia I've sent cuttings that are rooted and very healty, but is necessary to way the fruiting).
    eip3 is however right!
    Following the natural conditions you are sure to the better results: not many nitrogen manure, not many water, sun a lot, and not many grow = strong wood, strong leaves and many fruits.
    What is missing is the wattage of the sun

For Dave: in another discussion
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0309170432255.html?2
    I proposed a very late ripening fig that may be is interesting for you, keep us in contact.
    Sergio

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

Interesting Sergio. I would like to try this fig.

My black mission and kadota figs put out three crops here in the desert. One breba crop (not looking too good this year), and two main crops off the new growth.

First main crop appears to be in May/June/early July. Things slow down in July and August when daytime temps reach and begin to exceed 115. We get that second main crop of figs in the fall when our highest temps stay below 110 again.

I am starting only my third year here at this location in these conditions, so I am still learning. Although my trees didn't appear to go dormant last year they still put on a whole lot of figs and grew real fast. And they were all new trees.

So, like I said in the earlier post...I am begining to think that dormancy is a reaction to protect the tree when subjected to adverse climate conditions (such as cold, heat, or drought). No adverse conditions...no need for dormancy. But again...I am no expert.

Thanks.......Dave

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Well My fig trees has to sleep the winter and the harsh weather. Even I have what I liberally call green house with 8 flourcent lamps and a little fan but this for growing vegetable from seeds and for rooting all kind of fruit trees. I just do not imagine keeping 24 Fig trees some of them are 8 feet under lamps. It is impractical and unnatural to me. My Father was the owner of 400 fig trees orchard in Egypt. Even the winter in Egypt is warm (Mediterranean Weather) The trees lost their leaves in winter to have brand new leaves in spring. My Father never allowed me to get involved in his Orchard business he told me "you go to school and an education".

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

I don't know if true "dormancy" is actually needed. However, IMO deciduous trees MUST periodically drop their leaves and start anew. That is the genetic plan and intent of Mother Nature for all of her deciduous trees. Mother nature's natural weather seasons automatically makes that happen. It is always risky to mess with Mother Nature. But, we fig people sure do love to push her limits don't we??

Dan
    Semper Fi-cus

• mandolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am wondering if I put my fig outside fairly early this spring (when the weather is above 35 at night) if that will trigger a dormant stage. It may be that the days are already to long, but it will be interesting to see whether it loses the older leaves.

Foolishpleasure. - I spent almost a month in Egypt a few years ago, mostly in Cairo. It is one of my favorite countries in the world and such warm friendly people!

• gorgi
    13 years ago

I am no expert!

But, I have read that fig do well (without) any 'real'
    dormancy, e.g., they do produce fruit in Hawaii. Also, if
    they ever get dormant (aka. drop leaves b/c of some cool
    weather in other semi-temperate regions,
    ALL they need is a 'few' hours of 'cold' to satisfy their
    needs; after that, walla, it is blooming time again...

• gorgi
    13 years ago

Correction:

>>> ALL they need is a 'few' hours....

Make that ~100 hours (i.e. a few days)....

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Mandolls
    I am glad you enjoyed visiting Egypt. The Egyptian people are very friendly and very hospitable. I spent one month there last year and every day I was invited for dinner by some one, Uncle, Aunt, niece, nephew and even people who knew my Father and my Mother invited me and if you don't go to their invitation they get offended. By the way during that month I must ate 1000 Figs. As you may know Figs to Egypt Just like Apple to America. Dates are very poplar too. I tried to grow one Palm tree Here in Maryland never worked too cold.

• sergnic
    13 years ago

About the three fruiting for year:
    This is true in general, and it is also true for the fruiting in winter of caprifig that keeps living the pollinator wasps.
    Instead of regarding fructifications of Dave, keep in mind that almost all the varieties that we are grown are all parthenocarpic (ripen without pollination), and each variety has one or two or three fructification, may be only be the first one, the first and second or only the second or only the second and third, and so on ..
    The third is rare, in selected varieties, for obvious meaning.
    Normally only one fruiting is important for the quality and quantity.

As the fig tree native of the Mediterranean basin is obvious that feel equipped to overcome difficult times for hot and cold (the night in the Sahara, in winter, freezes).

I think it might be hard to come to fruit with absolutely constant temperature all year round (as in Hawaii) and for that I am anxious to see the result in Malaysia.
    In fact this is not normal in its original climate.

It is NOT true that deciduous plants must necessarily be intended for dormancy.
    There are many plants that are semi-deciduous, and deciduous if only is necessary, otherwise keep the leaves without problems.

No problem for nature, in my land wild fig tree are on the mountains and after few years are burned by frosts, and every year are happy to regrow from the ground.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus